none
Project Server 2013 shatepoint ,PWA site Migration from one farm to new Farm RRS feed

• Question

• I want to move PWA site from our staging env. (sharepoiny 2013/project server2013) to our production Env. (sharepoiny 2013/project server2013)., any idea? i could not find a way all about project server 2010 but not project server 2013
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:14 AM

All replies

• HARAZIYAM,

I am not aware about TechNet article about this particular topic for 20103, but I think following approach would be helpful .  Since you are planning to perform this stg to prd, you may need to plan entire activity. You may need to first perform dry run from staging to development environment before proceeding with production

1. Define downtown to perform entire activity. Allocate buffer time for user testing before making production PWA available to all users.

2. Make sure that  non user PWA or PRO user is disconnected from Project Server after cut off time.

3 Check in all checked out enterprise entities like Projects, resources etc. Validate all pending jobs are processed from the project server queue.

4. Make sure that non of the scheduled jobs like OLAP cube build, ERP sync, Administrative backups are conflicting with downtime window.

5. Prepare your production environment and start appropriate services (specifically project application service)

6. Configure web application and define Alternate Access Mapping settings (if planned)

7. Remove content database of the web application

8 Take backup of Project Service DB and Content db from stg environment.

9 Restore databases in Production SQL server and configure appropriate SQL security

10. Attached restored content database to previously created web application

11. Provision PWA site  with extract same name as previous PWA site name

12. Once PWA site is provisioned, you need to reconfigure BI settings manually.

Note : All customization including look and feel of PWA, solutions has to be redone manually.

Hope this helps.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

From a technical perspective, moving between environments should be relatively simple, ensuring they are the same patch level etc and broadly follows the Upgrade steps. I am in the process of writing a blog post on this and used the steps below to move a PWA site from one environment to another. I went for the PowerShell approach and have yet to look at what you can do via the GUI as Hrishi suggests.

1. Backup your ProjectService DB + SharePoint content DB that houses PWA

2. On your target environment, perform a restore of the databases and grant them access as you would normally for a 2010 restore

3. Run a Test-SPContentDatabase for your SharePoint DB against the web app your restoring to. This will let you know if there is anything in your content db that is not configured on the target environment

4. Mount the SP Content DB with mount-spcontentdatabase

5. Mount the ProjectService Database to the web app using mount-spprojectdatabase

6. Test the mounted ProjectService Database, to make sure schema's etc match.

7. In my test environment, I ran a upgrade-spprojectdatabase which should be instantaneous. If there is a different CU / patch on the farm this will be required.

8. Finally, mount-spprojectwebinstance to wire up the ProjectService to the PWA site collection

You should be ok to go based on that, obviously there are few other things you would need to do like bulk update the project sites etc.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:41 AM