none
Backing up the exchange servers along with the databases RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to back up my Exchange DAG.  When creating the protection group, I select the DB's, but I am not sure how to proceed on the servers themselves.  Should I go just system state and bmr, or backup up the volumes as well.  Thanks.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Can you back up these datasources? Yes, you can back up your exchange database, system state backup and BMR from the same server.  Should you back them up? I personally would do this yes. Your biggest cost would seem to be disk space being consumed in your storage pool.  It will really depends on your company's SLA retention policy vs. hardware limitation.

Selecting BMR will include the system state. I would select BMR as I have tested the BMR functionality with various server roles (Cert server, file server, exchange, SQL etc...) and the process is quite smooth. I have yet to run into any issues on performing a restore.

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi

Regarding the protection of the DAG function its important that you know that you only can preform an Express-Full backup.

If you don't care about disk space etc. the best thing you can do is to protect:

• all disks on the Exchange server
    • Exchange workload
    • System State.

If the Exchange server is virtual, backup the VHD for a disaster scenario. If the Exchange server is physical use BMR.

Think if the RTO (Recovery Time Objective) and RPO (Recovery Point Objective), simpley explained.

• RTO = How long can your service be out of function
    • RPO = How much data can you afford to lose

If your organization will be damage of a server failure its better to be safe than sorry. I always try to discuss the positive effects of virtualization of servers with serveral companies since this give the administrator a much more earier and quicker disaster recovery in conjunction with DPM2010.

I hope this clears out your questionmarks. Please feel free to post any other questions or visit my DPM blog.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Thanks for the response Robert.

We are using a dedicated physical dag, because of which I am not sure we even need to bakc up the sever since another is already in place.  Based on what you wrote above, wouldn't backing up exchange and the volumes they reside on essentially back up the same data twice?  Also, is system state + volumes preferred to system state + bmr that covers all volumes?

Thanks.

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:11 PM
  • If I understand it correctly...

If you want to backup exchange db ... then VSS should backup passive node.

you already have a sort of HA with 2 servers and 2 db's.

system  state should help in recovering the server

Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hello,

Can you back up these datasources? Yes, you can back up your exchange database, system state backup and BMR from the same server.  Should you back them up? I personally would do this yes. Your biggest cost would seem to be disk space being consumed in your storage pool.  It will really depends on your company's SLA retention policy vs. hardware limitation.

Selecting BMR will include the system state. I would select BMR as I have tested the BMR functionality with various server roles (Cert server, file server, exchange, SQL etc...) and the process is quite smooth. I have yet to run into any issues on performing a restore.

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:39 PM