Is there a way to automate setting up parameters company wide to access GMail email using Outlook 2013 as the client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are rolling out G-Suite at the end of March 2019, migrating from Exchange to GMail.  In Outlook 2013 is there a way to automate pushing out the parameters to access the users email in GMail using Outlook as the client.  We have about 200 accounts to switch over.  Unfortunately we cannot do a few at a time.  It has to be all users at the same time.

We have the parameters that do work.  This would be a huge time saver if we could automate the process.

Thanks much!

DDaleS

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi DDaleS,

Thanks for your update on this issue.

As far as I know, automated configuration in the Outlook client is achievable if you are using an Exchange account. As for a Gmail account, I’m afraid there is no such way for this.
    Given this situation, it is suggested to inform the user on each workstation to perform it themselves.
    And there is an article there that you can provide to them.

Add an email account using advanced setup

The new version of Outlook has simplified the process of configuring GMAIL, if possible, I recommend you to upgrade to newer versions of Office for a better user experience. For more details, see: Add a Gmail account to Outlook

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 8, 2019 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> In Outlook 2013 is there a way to automate pushing out the parameters to access the users email in Gmail using Outlook as the client.

Could you please clarify what you mean by “access the users email in Gmail using Outlook as the client”?
    By “Parameters”, do you mean any scripts or you have changed any settings on Outlook client? 

Please feel free to post back with more details so that we can understand better about your issue.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 10:19 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

We are migrating from Exchange to GMail.  In Outlook under account settings each user has one email account.  That is Exchange.  When we create a new account to connect to their GMail box, the dialog box for name, email address, server information. Incoming mail server, etc. comes up.  What we are trying to avoid is having to go to each work station and manually enter this info (except password).  We have about 200 workstations using Outlook 2013 as the email client.  Going forward they will need to point to GMail - not Exchange.  Continue using Outlook as the client, but retrieve email from GMail.  If this part could be automated (with a script, etc.) to populate the fields other than the password, it would be a big time saver.

Hope this helps.

DDaleS

Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:02 PM
  • Hi DDaleS,

Thanks for your update on this issue.

As far as I know, automated configuration in the Outlook client is achievable if you are using an Exchange account. As for a Gmail account, I’m afraid there is no such way for this.
    Given this situation, it is suggested to inform the user on each workstation to perform it themselves.
    And there is an article there that you can provide to them.

Add an email account using advanced setup

The new version of Outlook has simplified the process of configuring GMAIL, if possible, I recommend you to upgrade to newer versions of Office for a better user experience. For more details, see: Add a Gmail account to Outlook

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Friday, March 8, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Aidan,

Thanks for this info.  Generally this is what I am finding out.  I do appreciate your input!

DDaleS

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:27 PM