ADDS management pack for SCOM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

As you know the a fresh management pack for active directory has been shipped which is more more tuned as compared to previous management pack. I have both 2008 and 2012 Servers in my environment and the new MP only monitors 2012 and above servers. Is it possible to run it in parallel with the old MP so that old one only monitors 2008 and new monitors 2012 and above. 

Regards,

Daya Ram

Friday, February 23, 2018 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes, that should be possible. Per Kevin, "This MP does NOT UPGRADE the previous MP’s.  This is designed as a replacement.  However, you can run both MP’s side by side if you want to cut over monitoring slowly." from:

MP Update – Totally new Active Directory MP for Windows Server 2012 and 2016

Also have you taken a look at this, not the latest version but supports both 2008 and 2012:

Active Directory Domain Services Management Pack for System Center

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, February 26, 2018 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Friday, June 22, 2018 9:36 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 2:25 PM
  • Yes you certainly can run both MPs in parallel, and Kevin has confirmed this. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/12/22/mp-update-totally-new-active-directory-mp-for-windows-server-2012-and-2016/

Because you still have 2008 servers, I'd caution against doing a hard cutover, as the new MP doesn't appear to support 2008 servers. To prevent duplication of discovery and monitoring on your 2012 servers, and if you feel inclined to undertake the effort, I'd say logically group your 2012 servers servers, and override monitoring for them in the old AD management pack. This way the old MP only monitors  2008 servers and the new MP monitors 2012 and above servers. and all your servers are monitored. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

If you've found this post helpful,  please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" MrChiyo | My blog: Technical | Twitter: MrChiyo

Friday, February 23, 2018 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, that should be possible. Per Kevin, "This MP does NOT UPGRADE the previous MP’s.  This is designed as a replacement.  However, you can run both MP’s side by side if you want to cut over monitoring slowly." from:

MP Update – Totally new Active Directory MP for Windows Server 2012 and 2016

Also have you taken a look at this, not the latest version but supports both 2008 and 2012:

Active Directory Domain Services Management Pack for System Center

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Friday, February 23, 2018 2:25 PM
  • Yes you certainly can run both MPs in parallel, and Kevin has confirmed this. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/12/22/mp-update-totally-new-active-directory-mp-for-windows-server-2012-and-2016/

Because you still have 2008 servers, I'd caution against doing a hard cutover, as the new MP doesn't appear to support 2008 servers. To prevent duplication of discovery and monitoring on your 2012 servers, and if you feel inclined to undertake the effort, I'd say logically group your 2012 servers servers, and override monitoring for them in the old AD management pack. This way the old MP only monitors  2008 servers and the new MP monitors 2012 and above servers. and all your servers are monitored. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

If you've found this post helpful,  please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" MrChiyo | My blog: Technical | Twitter: MrChiyo

Friday, February 23, 2018 3:21 PM