Exchange 2010 can extest-xxxxxxxx account be removed RRS feed

• Question

• During the installation/migration to Exchange 2010 there was, for testing, created a special user. This user extest-<some string> is now just sitting there doing nothing (I think).

Can this user be deleted? Or does this user do something in the background that is important. If this user is deleted is it "ok" to create another one when neccescary. When this user is deleted, am I losing some functionallity?

The reason for this question is: if it's just sitting there, I want to remove unused accounts.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:35 AM

All replies

• I too would like to know the answer to this.

Also, we are moving our on-premises exchange 2010 to office365.
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 1:16 PM
  • Yes, you can delete the user without impacts for the business.

If you use SCOM to monitor your Exchange environment you lose some monitoring probes because the managemant pack use some commandlets that will only be usable with this extest user.. e.g. Test-OutlookConnectivity. 

If you need the user againt, you can easly recreate it with the script in the $exscript folder: new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1

In this script you will also find the answer why it calls extest-xxxx (the xxx is equal to your Exchange environment Guid, that you will see with "(Get-ExchangeServer).Site.ObjectGuid").

hope this was the answere you wanted :)

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:10 AM