none
progress bar or state or replication or CC? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an option observe the progress of replicatio or CC?  In otherwords, how is one able to see/determine how complete a process is (i.e. % complete, or progress bar)?  When the protected datasource is in 2 digit TB range, it's helpful now where the process is at.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

During a Consistency Check, there is no way of knowing ahead of time how much data is different between protected data source and the replica volume.  It's a block by block comparison.  The bytes transferred includes agent communications so for an initial replica creation job, you will see more bytes transferred than physical data on the protected volume, and for a CC, you will see bytes transferred increment even if no actual file data was transferred.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by patrick-me Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no provision in DPM to show a progress bar because it is unfeasible to pre-calculate the amount of data that needs to be transferred before transferring. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:17 AM
  • There are many backup utilities that include a progress bar.  DO I misunderstand the meaning of the "bytes transferred in the monitoring payne?
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

During a Consistency Check, there is no way of knowing ahead of time how much data is different between protected data source and the replica volume.  It's a block by block comparison.  The bytes transferred includes agent communications so for an initial replica creation job, you will see more bytes transferred than physical data on the protected volume, and for a CC, you will see bytes transferred increment even if no actual file data was transferred.

• Marked as answer by patrick-me Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:53 PM
  • thanks for the clarification.  That makes perfect sense!

:)

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:02 PM