How do you create your own Icon bars in Windows 7 RC? RRS feed

• Question

• In both my XP Pro and Vista Home Premium products I can create Icon Bars by filling a Folder with Shortcuts to Applications and dragging this Folder to any edge of the Desktop and releasing it. I know this techinque work in XP and Vista to create Icon Bars at the top, bottom and at both sides of the Desktop even on the right hand side with Side Bar showing in Vista. I only have these Icon bars on either side of my Desktop and my preference is to have them set to auto-hide. This is a very useful feature to use in order to keep the Desktop tidy.

I have tried in vain to create Icon Bars in Windows 7 RC and I cannot get it to work, which is a great shame if this useful facility has been dropped.

Is this omission of such a useful feature intentional or an oversight in the RC version of Windows 7?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:58 PM

Answers

• Click on the Start button. Click on your user name. This opens the folder C:\Username. This seems to be where windows7 looks for toolbars.  Create a new folder there and give it the name of the toolbar you want to create - I called mine 'Books'. You can then populate it with shortcuts. Mine has shortcuts to pdf documents. If you then right click on the toolbar. Choose Toolbars>New Toolbar. It will open your User libraries folder.  I selected the Books folder. A toolbar called Books appeared at the right hand end of the taskbar and contains shortcuts to those documents.

Hope this helps.
    BTW if you search help for create new libraries it will point you in the above direction (sort of).
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 24, 2009 1:09 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:00 PM

All replies

• Right I have just checked having taken this forgranted and I too find that this feature is missing from Windows 7.

Throwing a folder of the edge of the Desktop has been the way to make "icon bars" for so long I just assumed Windows 7 would have it!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Have you tried right clicking on the task bar? In XP you right click, select Toolbars, and then New Toolbar. I haven't checked this on Windows 7 yet. Just a thought.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Click on the Start button. Click on your user name. This opens the folder C:\Username. This seems to be where windows7 looks for toolbars.  Create a new folder there and give it the name of the toolbar you want to create - I called mine 'Books'. You can then populate it with shortcuts. Mine has shortcuts to pdf documents. If you then right click on the toolbar. Choose Toolbars>New Toolbar. It will open your User libraries folder.  I selected the Books folder. A toolbar called Books appeared at the right hand end of the taskbar and contains shortcuts to those documents.

Hope this helps.
    BTW if you search help for create new libraries it will point you in the above direction (sort of).
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 24, 2009 1:09 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:00 PM
  • This is not the answer I am afraid. An alternative of lesser convenience is what this approach provides!

Yes I have already created Toolbars on the Taskbar in Windows 7 it is basically the same process as in Vista but these are different to the "Icon bars" I have grown to know and like. In Vista or XP try this, drag a folder with some shotcuts in it off the edge of the Desktop and let it go and see the result if you have never done it before. The Folder remains as it ever was and a bar will now reside at that edge of the desktop. The nice feature is that it provides single click activation of the application you want to start whereas the Toolbars you folks mention need two, one to bring up the bar and another to start the application.

The new bar can be customised to auto-hide (or not) so that it only shows when you move the mouse to the edge of the Desktop where it resides namely when you want to use it. If you don't want it any longer just RH mouse click on it and select Close Toolbar and it is gone.

A great feature hopefully to be given contiued life in Windows 7.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 1:29 PM