App-V / XenApp Licensing Relating to Client Software RRS feed

• Question

• This is a very tough question to write out so I'll try my best.  It relates to a huge discussion I've had with co-workers, and nobody seems to know the correct answer.  I'll try lay out our environment pre-question.

For simple sake: Lets say I have 1 XenApp server.  On that machine I have Office 2003 Pro, Visio 2007, and Adobe Acrobat Pro (I realize the last one isn't related to Microsoft).  I have 100 users streaming apps from this server.  50 use just word and excel, the other 50 use the entire office pro suite.  10 people also use visio and acrobat.  Note: Some components of Visio and Adobe when installed on the same machine 'appear' in other software.

What would the licensing look like?  Do I require 100 Office Pro licenses?  Is it possible to host out different versions of office on one server with different serials?  How is visio and adobe handled if components show up in different programs, even if the full blown product isnt given to employees?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:37 PM

Answers

• This will depend on how the application is licensed, which will be either per user or per device. Most Microsoft and Adobe software is licensed per device. So you need a license for every user or device (depending on how the application is licensed) who/that can access the application.

App-V / XenApp / Terminal Server won't change your licensing requirements, however each solution is basically separating the application from the device so you would need to obtain licenses for each device can potentially access the applications.

However, there are solutions that you can use to restrict who or which device can access the software - AppSense Application Manager is an example: http://www.appsense.com/solutions/licensemanagement.aspx

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, September 10, 2010 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:54 PM