Trouble Exporting PS1 to CSV that matches exporting txt file RRS feed

• Question

• I have this script from "https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Export-WSUS-Approvals-per-59b89a53/view/Discussions" and when i run the script or output it to txt file (.\getapprovals.ps1 > c:\temp\approvals.txt) it returns the view i want. However, i want this view to export to CSV and i have not been successful in do so. It looks like the same question has been ask on the site but i do not see the correct response. Here is a partial example of the text file that i am trying to match in a CSV.

Title                                                                                               Classification    
    -----                                                                                               --------------    
    Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB3039766) 32-Bit Edition               Critical Updates  
    Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB3039720) 32-Bit Edition               Critical Updates

Thank you!

Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I just took a look at the script and here is a suggestion: You need to dump the output into a PSObject and then export the object to CSV. My only problem is that I cannot test this, so what I am giving you could need a bit of adjustment to work (if it does not work directly). So, you will have to replace this:

foreach ($Approval in $Approvals)
    {
    	$ComputerGroup = $WSUSServer.GetComputerTargetGroup($Approval.ComputerTargetGroupId)
    	$Update = $WSUSServer.GetUpdate($Approval.UpdateId)

$ComputerGroup.Name+"`t"+$Update.Title+"`t"+$Update.Id.UpdateId+"`t"+$Update.KnowledgeBaseArticles[0]

}

with this:

$Output = foreach ($Approval in $Approvals) {

$ComputerGroup = $WSUSServer.GetComputerTargetGroup($Approval.ComputerTargetGroupId)

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{	
    	GroupName = $ComputerGroup.Name
    	Title = $Update.Title
    	Id = $Update.Id.UpdateId
    	KB = $Update.KnowledgeBaseArticles[0]

}
    }
    $Output | Export-Csv C:\Output.csv

and the file output.csv should contain what you need. Please post back an update. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I just took a look at the script and here is a suggestion: You need to dump the output into a PSObject and then export the object to CSV. My only problem is that I cannot test this, so what I am giving you could need a bit of adjustment to work (if it does not work directly). So, you will have to replace this:

foreach ($Approval in $Approvals)
    {

$ComputerGroup.Name+"`t"+$Update.Title+"`t"+$Update.Id.UpdateId+"`t"+$Update.KnowledgeBaseArticles[0]

}

with this:

$Output = foreach ($Approval in $Approvals) {

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{	
    	GroupName = $ComputerGroup.Name
    	Title = $Update.Title
    	Id = $Update.Id.UpdateId
    	KB = $Update.KnowledgeBaseArticles[0]

}
    }
    $Output | Export-Csv C:\Output.csv

and the file output.csv should contain what you need. Please post back an update. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:22 PM
  • function Get-WSusUpdates{

Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files\Update Services\Api\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.dll'
        $adminProxy = New-Object Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy
        $wsus = $adminProxy.GetUpdateServer()
        $wsus.PreferredCulture = 'en'

$UpdateScope = New-Object Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateScope
        foreach ($Approval in $wsus.GetUpdateApprovals($UpdateScope)) {
            $targetGroup = $wsus.GetComputerTargetGroup($Approval.ComputerTargetGroupId)
            $update = $wsus.GetUpdate($Approval.UpdateId)
            [pscustomobject]@{
                Name = $targetGroup.Name
                Title = $update.Title
                UpdateGUID = $update.Id.UpdateId
                UpdateArticleId = $update.KnowledgeBaseArticles[0]
            }
        }
    }
    Get-WSusUpdates | Export-Csv approvals.csv

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:30 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:27 PM
  • You should be using the WSUS CmdLets as the DLL in this is no longer supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/wsus/?view=win10-ps

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:43 PM
  • This failed with the error: "Method invocation failed because [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy] does not contain a method named
    'GetUpdateServer'."

I was running this on localhost "the server itself".

Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response!
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:59 PM
  • This failed with the error: "Method invocation failed because [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy] does not contain a method named
    'GetUpdateServer'."

I was running this on localhost "the server itself".

You need to upgrade your server.   Also you can change it to:

$wsus = $adminProxy.GetUpdateServerInstance('localhost'.$false)

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:26 PM