none
Non-linear work days v Standard hours per day RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are operating a Project Server 2013 on-premise, with Project Pro 2013 client

I am struggling with the following situation:

Working time Standard Calendar set as follows

Mon 09:00 - 12:00 13:00 - 17.30
    Tue 09:00 - 12:00 13:00 - 17.30
    Wed 09:00 - 12:00 13:00 - 17.30
    Thu 09:00 - 12:00 13:00 - 17.30
    Fri 09:00 - 12:00 13:00 - 16.30

Total working hours for the week is 36.5 hours

I have tried setting the working hours to 7.5, 7.3, 7.25 hours in Project Pro

Assuming start date/time is Monday at 9:00

Nothing of the above default hours per day gives me the correct finish date/time when I enter a Duration of 1 or more days. The best I can get is 7.5h days except 5d duration means finish time moves to the Monday.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 10:59 AM

Answers

• This is a nightmare, though of course it shouldn't be, but MS Project just does not handle this well.  In your instance I would set Friday to finish at 17:30 and not worry about it.  So, I expect some feedback from this, but for planning purposes this only impacts if you track/estimate work for resources, and assuming you do, then this gives a small error on estimation (1 weeks worth of work = 37.5 hours instead of the correct 36.5 hours) - is the 1 hour "error" of you estimates something you can live with?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by DaveHRae Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:13 PM

All replies

• Suggestion #1 is do not edit the standard calendar. Instead, use change working time to make a copy of the standard calendar, give the copy a distinctive name such as "AA My New Standard Calendar", then edit the copy to your heart's content. Since you have already edited the standard calendar you need to use the organiser to get a nice clean original standard calendar from the global.mpt. You are probably going to need it later.

Where you say "I have tried setting the working hours to 7.5, 7.3, 7.25 hours in Project Pro" I assume that you mean in file, options, schedule where you get to define what you mean by "1 day". You get to set how many hours you mean when you specify a duration or lag in days. This is a conversion factor. You get to have one only. This is necessary because "day" is ambiguous but hours is not.

Because you have a different number of hours on Friday you will always be baffled if you try to input duration in days and try to hit some expected number. It is especially more difficult if you do not display a date/time format which includes the time, ie options, display, date format.

I recommend using 24 hour clock instead of am/pm, by setting in your computer's regional settings.

Try this. In file, options, schedule, choose 1 day = 7.5 hours.

With date and time displayed, make some tasks and give each one a duration like 1 h, 7 h, 7.5 h, 1 d, 8 h.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:32 AM
  • This is a nightmare, though of course it shouldn't be, but MS Project just does not handle this well.  In your instance I would set Friday to finish at 17:30 and not worry about it.  So, I expect some feedback from this, but for planning purposes this only impacts if you track/estimate work for resources, and assuming you do, then this gives a small error on estimation (1 weeks worth of work = 37.5 hours instead of the correct 36.5 hours) - is the 1 hour "error" of you estimates something you can live with?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by DaveHRae Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:13 PM