Term store and its limitation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

As we all know there is a limitation of how many terms that can be in a SharePoint term store. ie

Maximum number of term sets - 10000

Manximum number of Terms in a term set - 30,000

Maximum number of terms in a term store 1,000000

Please can this limitation be overcome by having multiple managed metadata dbs within a SharePoint farm?

Thanks,

Dominic

Friday, January 13, 2017 11:38 AM

Answers

• Several things to be aware of.

1) You will have two managed metadata services and therefore two MMS management pages

2) Termsets stored in each managed metadata service will be separate. So for example if you have a Managed Metadata field in a list it will only reference the terms stored in one termset in one Managed metadata service

So yes with two services you can have twice as many fields overall, but they will be managed as two separate implementations.  There is no way to overcome the limitations put on each term store, termset, and term group.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by dnanna Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:38 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:46 PM

All replies

• You can have multiple Managed Metadata services

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Hi Taylor,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I am aware that you can have multiple managed metadata services( I currently have this setup). My question is this. Does having multiple managed metadata services extends the Terms Store limitation mentioned by Microsoft?

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Nope. Each term store will have the same limitations. 

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:47 PM
  • In the sense that the limits apply to each individual term store yes it overcomes the limits.  Having two term stores will give you twice the maximum number of terms.  But each term store would still have to live within the limits.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify. If in one sharepoint farm, I have configured two managed metadata services with two DBs, hence being able to host terms in either DB and having a view from the Term Store management page, does this overcome the Term store limitation?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Several things to be aware of.

1) You will have two managed metadata services and therefore two MMS management pages

2) Termsets stored in each managed metadata service will be separate. So for example if you have a Managed Metadata field in a list it will only reference the terms stored in one termset in one Managed metadata service

So yes with two services you can have twice as many fields overall, but they will be managed as two separate implementations.  There is no way to overcome the limitations put on each term store, termset, and term group.

• Marked as answer by dnanna Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:38 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Thanks Paul,

That was the answer I was looking for.

Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:38 AM