none
Cannot PuTTY into Hyper-V VM (Ubuntu 18 server) RRS feed

• Question

• An Ubuntu 18.04 server virtual machine in Hyper-V refuses connections via PuTTY. The guest is running & can be pinged from the host (Windows 10, 1903). The server is freshly built from an iso. Openssh-server was installed during installation. The guest's adapter has a static IP address and is configured as an external switch on the host's adapter.

Server shows that it's listening on port 22. PuTTY will connect to remote systems. Using WSL to ssh into the server also results in Connection refused. PuTTY will also connect to VirtualBox VMs when that is used.

What may be a related issue is that after installing Apache2 & browsing to the VM's IP address I get the host (which is used for developing web sites), not the guest.
    Friday, June 28, 2019 12:26 PM

Answers

• Issue resolved: there was a conflict/confusion with an earlier attempt to fix the issue. I ended up disabling a VirtualBox adapter at the host.
    • Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Friday, June 28, 2019 1:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by TTrout Friday, June 28, 2019 2:24 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 1:06 PM

All replies

• Issue resolved: there was a conflict/confusion with an earlier attempt to fix the issue. I ended up disabling a VirtualBox adapter at the host.
    • Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Friday, June 28, 2019 1:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by TTrout Friday, June 28, 2019 2:24 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 1:06 PM
  • OK, nice to hear that!

Thanks for your sharing!

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:38 AM