4.6 and Windows 10 compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any information, will 4.6 packages still work on Windows 10, when it will be out? We have large 4.6 infrastructure still existing and first phase of piloting Windows 10 will include some 4.6 packages. We have an experience, that those packages works in 8.1 x64.

Any facts or even rumors? Thanks.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:21 PM

Answers

• As Nathan said. I think you'll need to wait for Microsoft to announce whether or not they'll support it but if I was you. I wouldn't rely on that. Now is a good time to look at converting to App-V 5.0.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:51 PM
  • The only facts I can give you are these:

1. Windows 10 is being released 29th July 2015.
    2. App-V 4.6 SP3 Mainstream support ends 14th July 2015.

I've not tried App-V 4.6 on the TP of Windows 10, so I can say it works or doesn't but based on the dates above I'm sure MS will not support it.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:46 PM

All replies

• The only facts I can give you are these:

1. Windows 10 is being released 29th July 2015.
    2. App-V 4.6 SP3 Mainstream support ends 14th July 2015.

I've not tried App-V 4.6 on the TP of Windows 10, so I can say it works or doesn't but based on the dates above I'm sure MS will not support it.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:46 PM
  • As Nathan said. I think you'll need to wait for Microsoft to announce whether or not they'll support it but if I was you. I wouldn't rely on that. Now is a good time to look at converting to App-V 5.0.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:51 PM
  • I do agree with you guys, App-V 4.6 is a pain in the ass, and 5.0 is SOO much better, but there are things like Project budged and money :)

I´m aware of converting 4.6 packages with powershell with a few clicks and I tested it, I had some issues with publishing, but testing is the harderst part here, because every converted package must be tested throughly.

Friday, June 5, 2015 5:38 PM
  • I beleive Autonoware have a tool called Conversionbox which may provide better results for converting. Have you tried to contact Microsoft directly. I understand where you are coming from. Not everybody is ready to commit money and resources to getting off of 4.6 just yet. Meanwhile from my own experience it seems like many companies have a "We won't get fooled again" approach to Windows 10...they want to get a handle on it as quick as possible so they don't get stuck like with XP to 7

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:22 PM
  • I would also recommend you to convert to APP-V 5.0 , as rorymon said earlier to avoid pain at the later end.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:15 PM
  • I have got something a little better than a rumour. I asked Aaron Ruckman this at Microsoft Ignite who I believe knows more about this than most and he told me that they were currently working on a hotfix for App-V 4.6 for it to work with W10. He didn't give any guarantees regards timescales but he was aware that the release of W8 and delay in compatible App-V client being made available was an issue for Enterprise customers so touch wood...
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Juts tested with:

W10 1709 (Fall Creators Update) Enterprise German

SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_Ent_Edu_N_10_1709_64BIT_German_MLF_X21-50155.ISO

Works with APPV 4.6 SP2/SP3 and existing APPV 4.6 Publishing Server. ;-)

MS Partner will HAVE to redo all the SETUP scripts pres. req. Like C++2005/2008 SP1 ATL EM* Updates and redo batches to install the appv CLIENT correct and up to lastest releases of all.

We will publish further info on our blogs as soon as we are trhough. Main reason is to keep existing 4.6 servers and not having to migrate all to 5.X APPV Server the same time we deploy new OS.

Thats was the reason and promise customers DID choose APPV and yes it works. ;-) Great JOB ms this time...

Greetings from Switzerland/Therwil

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:40 PM