none
Showing interesting days without effecting work and resourcing RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me out with an idea to fix this problem.

I want to add a coloured vertical column on the Gantt view to show a day (or couple of days) of interest. They are still work days, but they indicate something of interest to the teams viewing the plan, eg, on a given day there will be a train strike, so it just means they might have to work from home or make other arrangements, but it is still very much a work day.

My plan has over 300 rows and just showing a milestone somewhere on the page doesn't help because it's easily missed, hence wanting a complete column from top to bottom of the page, in much the same way that weekends get shown. 

Using non-working days to add it in doesn't help because it then means no work gets done on this day and it pushes work on to the next working day. 

If possible, I'd also like to show it in a different colour from weekends and other existing "non work days", but that's a nice to have. 

Thanks in advance. 

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

An easy way would be to use custom start and finish date when applicable and customize the bar style.

For example, for a given task, use the start1 and finish1 to display the days you want to highlight. Then double click in the Gantt chart to add a custom bar style using start1 and finish 1 with a specific color.

You could eventually add more start and finish (2, 3...) with associated bar styles to add more than 1 interest by task.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:53 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the reply. If I've understood correctly, that would show a block of colour within the work of any given task. Every time I add a task I'd have to add in that detail. How can I add a column down the page like a background day that wouldn't need constant manual intervention? 

I've drawn an example in Excel that I'm trying to post but as a newbie I need my account verifying first before I can post it. I'm hoping this reply will automatically complete my account verification.

Another benefit is that it shows top to bottom of the page irrespective of whether there is a task already traversing that day, whereas using the custom start and finish date method, I need a task to exist on that day in order to show the coloured block of interest. 

Any further thoughts please?

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 12:28 PM
  • The only way to display a top to bottom colored bar is to create exceptions in the calendar. So you won't have much choice. Something that I just tested is :

1- Create a "interested days" calendar and set the weekends as working time. Enter an interested day (oct 18th). Assign this calendar to your project.

2-Assign the standard calendar (with weekends and days off) to your resources. It will have priority on the project calendar so the 18th of october will be shown with a vertical bar but the resource will work on that day. See task 1.

Note that doing this, you don't see anymore the weekends as vertical bars in the Gantt.

Note that it works for task with resource. If you don't have resource on the task (task 2), the project calendar applies (without weekends) so the task will occur also during weekends. The solution (task3) is to assign as a task calendar the "interested days" calendar.

Maybe this is not ideal but I couldn't find better solution. Some of my colleagues might jump in.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:40 PM
  • the-ciscokid,

Project isn't very flexible when it comes to graphics presentation so attempting to get what you want will be a compromise. Guillaume provided two suggestions, I have a third (which also is not ideal)

Use Project's drawing feature to draw a rectangle around the period of interest. Note, you will need to manually drag the area over the area to be covered and if you have 300 task rows you may want to apply a filter first to isolate those tasks that are relevant to the area of interest. Unfortunately the drawing feature does not offer translucent fills so you will need to leave the fill as "none" and concentrate on using an appropriate highlight color for the rectangle perimeter.

The drawing feature can be accessed via the Format tab on the ribbon.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:13 PM
  • These are all good suggestions, especially Guilaume's trick with overlaying the bar style. neat.

I have another. It is often necessary to have special events and special dates displayed in the chart. These are not really tasks or milestones and are not linked into the network, but useful anyway. For extra emphasis, list them along with the real tasks.

For example, I always list the status date in the task list with a MFO constraint.

Also, the public holidays, school holidays, the contract finish date, cyclone season.

Obviously this is not the same as vertically shading the chart, but still a good idea.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:00 AM