monitoring PCNS RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of any way to monitor PCNS (on the DCs) as to how many password changes are in the queue, how big is the queue in disk space, etc?    I've seen the verbose logging for the event logs, and you can monitor the service itself (started, stopped), but how about in perfmon?

Thanks!

Thursday, October 26, 2006 3:52 PM

Answers

• There are no performance monitor counters for PCNS. Some of the PCNS eventlog messages do include status of the queue size, and they can be mined either directly, or from MOM.

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:25 PM

All replies

• Rich,

Have you look at the PCNS Management Pack for MOM? http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=67592 

As you maybe aware MOM is able to monitor event logs and performance conditions(usually through WMI). The Management Packs come preconfigured with events and conditions to monitor and various alerts to raise. AFAIK, PCNS does not have any useful perf mon counters, but does log quite a few events. You can use MOM and the PCNS Management pack to help you interpret these events and monitor the health of PCNS.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:08 AM
  • Other than that you have some very simplistic PCSN monitor provided in the Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 Resource Toolkit 2.0.

It is called PCNSLookup.vbs. It will just show you if it is installed, if it is running, where it is running and what version.

I think the MOM MP is what you are really looking for.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:10 AM
  • Thanks for the responses...i've seen the MOM thing, just was hoping there were some perf counters on the DCs that I didn't find.
    Monday, October 30, 2006 1:33 PM
  • There are no performance monitor counters for PCNS. Some of the PCNS eventlog messages do include status of the queue size, and they can be mined either directly, or from MOM.

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:25 PM