none
Unable to access network share only when share has specific name

Question

• Greetings,

I have an odd issue.. a user reports that they are unable to access a network shared folder from their PC. Here is what I have gathered so far:

-The network share is from their PC located at C:\SQL2014. The share name is SQL2014. Their hostname for this example is "ABC".
    -If I attempt to connect to the share from the user's PC ABC to \\ABC\SQL2014 I get the generic error:
      "Windows cannot access \\ABC\SQL2014
       You do not have permission to access \\ABC\SQL2014. Contact your network administrator to request access."
    -If I attempt to connect to the share by ABC's IP \\192.168.1.140\SQL2014 I can access it.
    -If I attempt to connect to the share by ABC's FQDN at  \\ABC.domain.com\SQL2014 I can access it.
    -If I map ABC\SQL2014 as a drive letter, I can access it.
    -Connecting to this share works fine from any other PC other than ABC.
    -I've confirmed the error is affecting any profile old or new on ABC, which means it is a PC-wide issue on ABC.
    -If I share C:\SQL2014 as ANY OTHER NAME OTHER THAN SQL2014, I can access it. As in if I share C:\SQL2014 with the share name SQL2014a, I can access \\ABC\SQL2014a.
    -Deleted the share and recreated - same issue.
    -Created C:\Test and shared it as SQL2014, cannot access \\ABC\SQL2014. It is NOT an issue with the actual SQL2014 folder.

From internet searches I've found the following solutions do not affect my case:
    -Clearing CSC/Offline cache (most common working solution)
    -Clearing saved credentials from credential manager
    -Rebuilding profile
    -Checking HOSTS/LMHOSTS
    -Flushing DNS

Again I don't believe it is a profile issue, folder permission issue, or DNS issue. This is only an issue when share is specifically named SQL2014.

Any ideas? It almost seems like a corrupt entry somewhere for the share name \\ABC\SQL2014 and removing the share doesn't clear it since recreating the share picks right back up where it was.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Seems some cache in NETBIOS corrupted this access, run command as admin to clear its cache:

nbtstat -R

Also, as there is only one user meet up with this problem, you can try to reset the TCP/IP and DNS.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

Thanks for the response. Your suggestions were attempted however the issues remain:

-ran nbtstat -R
    -ran ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns
    -ran netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt 
    -rebooted, same issue

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:50 PM
  • Hello,

I agree it's probably a problem in NetBIOS resolution. To test: from the affected workstation, ping the NetBIOS name for ABC and then ping the FQDN for ABC and compare against the known correct IP of ABC.

Any device on the network that serves files should have a static IP (to avoid these types of problems), so if you can assign a static IP to ABC you will see that the problem will correct itself in time and not return.

If you have WINS enabled, it's may be effecting as well, you may want to clear WINS cache.

Now, it could be a different story if the user ABC is accessing the share which is on his own PC. I think that may be the case but I did not clearly understand. Is this user having the problem from his own PC accessing the share on his own PC? If so what happens if he accesses the share:

\\localhost\SQL2014

\\127.0.0.1\SQL2014

Ping the NetBIOS name ABC and see if it resolves to the user's own local IP address, 192.168.1.140

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Monday, August 14, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Hi Miguel,

Ping tests:

pinging ABC - replies 192.168.1.140
    pinging ABC.DOMAIN.COM - replies 192.168.1.140

So no ping issues.

You are correct in your assumption, this user having the problem from his own PC accessing the share on his own PC.

Here are the access results from ABC to the ABC share:

\\localhost\sql2014 - works
    \\127.0.0.1\sql2014 - works
    \\ABC.DOMAIN.COM\sql2014 - works
    \\192.168.1.140\sql2014 - works
    \\ABC\sql2014 - FAILS

Access results from another PC to the ABC share:

\\ABC.DOMAIN.COM\sql2014 - works
    \\192.168.1.140\sql2014 - works
    \\ABC\sql2014 - works

So the failure is ONLY with accessing exactly \\ABC\sql2014 from ABC.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Weird. The only conclusion I can draw is that it's a cached password to that specific UNC path. Other than that, I am stumped. Try removing cached creds from elevated command on the problem PC:

net use \\ABC\SQL2014 /delete

then type:

klist purge

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:45 PM
  • I ran:

net use \\ABC\SQL2014 /delete

However this failed with:

"The network connection could not be found."

klist purge was successful, however the issue remains.

Friday, August 18, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

We can try to do these steps:

1.Exit domain Environment

2.reset the network adapter using the command as administrator : netcfg –d

3.join the domain again

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 8:11 AM