moving autocorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I have 9 years' worth of autocorrect entries from my job as a medical transcriptionist. I had to switch to a new computer this week. Old system: Windows XP with Word 2003. New system: Windows 7 with newly-installed Word 2003. It did have Word 2010 but the platform that I work on only supports 2003, so I had to uninstall 2010 and install 2003. I moved the normal.dot and .acl files but none of my shortcuts are showing up. There is a normal.dotm in the directory also. I really need my shortcuts. What am I doing wrong? 

And how do I move my custom dictionary?

Friday, October 4, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• Note that the *.acl files are language-specific. Did you make sure to copy the correct one for your language?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Friday, October 18, 2013 2:29 AM
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:02 PM

All replies

• Note that the *.acl files are language-specific. Did you make sure to copy the correct one for your language?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Friday, October 18, 2013 2:29 AM
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Late response.

I truly feel that the free backup utility AutoCorrect2007 should be on everyone's computer if they have Word. It allows easy backup and moving / copying of AutoCorrect in bulk.

It can be found on Jay Freedman's page: The Macro Zone

Custom Dictionary: See Mastering the Spelling Checker

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:10 AM
  • Charles Kenyon, YOU ROCK!!! I have been searching google/internet for THREE DAYS for a solution and try as I might, they all FAIL. Trying to find the normal.dotm file, a *acl file, etc. Nothing worked when I tried to transfer my autocorrects. Funny that I'm also in Madison! I am just getting back into transcription after a hiatus, so these autocorrects are imperative esp. now that I'm paid by the line.  I can't thank you enough for pointing me to that macro. They updated it so it works for 2013 and it worked on my Windows 8 machine.  Bless you!!!<input id="mac_address" type="hidden" value="" />
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:36 AM
  • You are welcome. Just giving back some of what I've gained from similar forums. The yeoman work was done by Jay Freedman.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:51 PM