none
windows 7 pro & windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My computer ( Vaio - quad core intel core i7 processor 1.6Ghz)  came with windows 7. Before I took it out of the store I asked them to upgrade it to 7 pro which they did. Now I find it difficult to update my computer as it came with windows 7 only. Can I still download windows 7 applications (updates for my computer) and then go to windows update to update them from windows 7 to windows 7 pro? This would seem the easy way. I hope you're not going to say I need to unstall windows 7. If this is the only way, is there an easy way to revert back to windows 7 leaving all my programs intact?  Thanks in advance. DM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:01 PM

Answers

• You're saying they upgraded you from Windows 7 Home to Windows 7 Pro?  The only difference between the two are the features that are available (ie. domain join, XP mode...)  The updates and patches will be exactly the same for both, so no, you don't need to revert or apply updates twice.

If you mean they "upgraded" you from 32-bit to 64-bit you also don't need to worry.  Windows Update "knows" which version you're running and will apply the proper updates.

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 5, 2010 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:28 PM
  • On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:01:55 +0000, Trudoug wrote:

> My computer ( Vaio - quad core intel core i7 processor 1.6Ghz)  came with windows 7.

What *edition* of Windows 7. There is no edition simply called
    "Windows 7." If you upgraded it to Windows 7 Professional, you must
    have started with Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows
    7 Home Premium. Which one was it?

> Before I took it out of the store I asked them to upgrade it to 7 pro

Why did you want Windows 7 Professional? What features that it has
    were important to you?

> which they did. Now I find it difficult to update my computer as it came with windows 7 only.

Again, there's no such thing as "windows 7 only." Whatever your
    problems are with updating, which edition it came with or which
    edition you have now is *not* the reason.

Please tell us what "difficult to update" means. Exactly how are you
    trying? What happens when you try? If you get an error message, please
    quote it verbatim.

> Can I still download windows 7 applications (updates for my computer)

Applications and updates for the computer are two entirely different
    things. I'm going to assume you are talking about updates, but if you
    really mean applications, please tell me.

> and then go to windows update to update them from windows 7 to windows 7 pro?

No. Simply go to Windows Update and download and install the critical
    updates available. This has nothing to do with what edition of Windows
    7 you are running.

> This would seem the easy way.

No.

> I hope you're not going to say I need to unstall windows 7.

No.

> If this is the only way, is there an easy way to revert back to windows 7 leaving all my programs intact?  Thanks in advance. DM

Ken Blake
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi Trudoug,

According to your description, it seems the computer was with Windows 7 Starter or Windows 7 Home. Basically, the updates from Windows Update are the same for different versions of Windows 7. Therefore, this issue should not be related to the version.

Regarding the Windows Update issue, could you please provide more detailed information about it? Is the issue that all updates cannot be downloaded? Is there any error code occur when downloading or installing the updates?

In the meantime, please try the following suggestions and see if the update issue can be resolved:

Run Windows Update Troubleshooting tool by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Fix problems with Windows Update.

If the issue persists, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can refer to the suggestions in this knowledge base (KB) article to check the result: Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

If the issue still exists, please provide the following information for further research:

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" and send it to us.

+++++++++

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=91f0c1d0-2fa0-4628-95a0-b6962edfcc2b)

Password: WM^-Vr{X*JF%@

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 5, 2010 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• You're saying they upgraded you from Windows 7 Home to Windows 7 Pro?  The only difference between the two are the features that are available (ie. domain join, XP mode...)  The updates and patches will be exactly the same for both, so no, you don't need to revert or apply updates twice.

If you mean they "upgraded" you from 32-bit to 64-bit you also don't need to worry.  Windows Update "knows" which version you're running and will apply the proper updates.

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 5, 2010 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:28 PM
  • On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:01:55 +0000, Trudoug wrote:

> My computer ( Vaio - quad core intel core i7 processor 1.6Ghz)  came with windows 7.

What *edition* of Windows 7. There is no edition simply called
    "Windows 7." If you upgraded it to Windows 7 Professional, you must
    have started with Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows
    7 Home Premium. Which one was it?

> Before I took it out of the store I asked them to upgrade it to 7 pro

Why did you want Windows 7 Professional? What features that it has
    were important to you?

> which they did. Now I find it difficult to update my computer as it came with windows 7 only.

Again, there's no such thing as "windows 7 only." Whatever your
    problems are with updating, which edition it came with or which
    edition you have now is *not* the reason.

Please tell us what "difficult to update" means. Exactly how are you
    trying? What happens when you try? If you get an error message, please
    quote it verbatim.

> Can I still download windows 7 applications (updates for my computer)

Applications and updates for the computer are two entirely different
    things. I'm going to assume you are talking about updates, but if you
    really mean applications, please tell me.

> and then go to windows update to update them from windows 7 to windows 7 pro?

No. Simply go to Windows Update and download and install the critical
    updates available. This has nothing to do with what edition of Windows
    7 you are running.

> This would seem the easy way.

No.

> I hope you're not going to say I need to unstall windows 7.

No.

> If this is the only way, is there an easy way to revert back to windows 7 leaving all my programs intact?  Thanks in advance. DM

Ken Blake
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi Trudoug,

According to your description, it seems the computer was with Windows 7 Starter or Windows 7 Home. Basically, the updates from Windows Update are the same for different versions of Windows 7. Therefore, this issue should not be related to the version.

Regarding the Windows Update issue, could you please provide more detailed information about it? Is the issue that all updates cannot be downloaded? Is there any error code occur when downloading or installing the updates?

In the meantime, please try the following suggestions and see if the update issue can be resolved:

Run Windows Update Troubleshooting tool by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Fix problems with Windows Update.

If the issue persists, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, you can refer to the suggestions in this knowledge base (KB) article to check the result: Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

If the issue still exists, please provide the following information for further research:

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" and send it to us.

+++++++++

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=91f0c1d0-2fa0-4628-95a0-b6962edfcc2b)

Password: WM^-Vr{X*JF%@

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 5, 2010 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:38 AM