none
DPM 2010 is giving me fits trying to protect large volumes. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been working with this product for almost a year now, and I still haven't been able to reliably back up my largest shares. I've actually broken up a couple shares and moved them to different disks in an effort to get it to work, but so far no luck. I've got a 1.2 TB volume of users home folders of which I have never been able to create an initial replica and recovery point. I have stopped protecting the member several times and re-created the PG. Once it copies all the data it starts a CC which runs for days, then the first CC stops and another one starts, and then another, etc. In my initial testing I was very impressed with this product, now not so much. I've excluded all recommended directories and services from virus scanning, (Forefront). It's running on a physical server (Proliant G6 with 32 GB of RAM) backing up over fiber to a Compellent SAN. I've thrown everything at it that I possibly can, yet replica creation only runs at about 20 GB per hour. What else can I try?

Thanks

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:27 AM

All replies

• What kind of IOPS are you getting from your SAN? 

Silly question, but is the protected Server itself improperly throttled from the management page?

Friday, May 27, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi Mark,

More a comment than a solution....

I administer DPM at a rather big retail company so our hardware is top-notch stuff. I run DPM backups to dedicated 110TB SAN storage, the file share backups also takes ages to complete.

The initial replica of 1.7TB file share took about 50 hours to complete and a consistency check of that share took over 50 hours. But a SQL DB of 2.2 TB took 7 hours (uncompressed backup during business hours) perhaps DPM just has issues with processing lots of small files.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/9f8703c5-a9b4-4918-8d90-47b5efd5a8a9

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:14 AM