none
MS PROJECT 2010 or 2013 Update weekly/daily status text? Help RRS feed

• Question

• I want to update the daily or weekly status of work done as text like Notes, which can be displayed in gantt chart weekly/daily. Suppose i have one task which takes one month duration, i can show progress of work done as %. but i also want to update/display week/day wise text of what work done for that task. If i enter in Notes column then for whole task only one note will be displayed. But i want work done text to be displayed week wise differently in gantt chart. I tried and found there is no option. Please help if there is any such feature/option.
    • Edited by vinay059 Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:33 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:32 PM

Answers

• You're welcome for the reply.  There are actually several Text fields (30).  So you could use each one of the fields for a weekly update.  Remove the "old" field from the Gantt view and add the new field.

Regarding only displaying the first line - the trick is do not press ENTER to start a new line.  Set the field in the view to wrap and avoid enters.

Are you also wanting to display the text next to the bars in the Gantt view?  That is going to be more work as you'll need to edit the bar format weekly.

• Marked as answer by vinay059 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:50 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:22 PM

All replies

• If you don't wish to use the Notes field, the next best thing I can suggest is the Text(x) fields.  There are 30 text fields that you can add to a view (and remove as needed) to record your comments.  The fields are limited to 255 characters, however - so your notes must be concise.

The notes field allows much more text to be entered - but you are correct there is only one notes field.  Have you considered entering date - comment at the top of the notes field to have a running commentary?

Julie

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks for reply :).

You mean i have to enter date wise text within single Notes field. Yup i tried in that case, i get big list in the gantt chart/calender view as tooltip. I want to display Notes for 1st week as "gathered information" which is already appearing and next week i want to display "documented information" which is available in notes field but shows the first line of notes only (  i.e. gathered information) in the whole task for whole time. I think even if i consider Text fields then also i will not be able to display week wise data in gant chart because i have to select only one field for entire task.  I can break into subtask but my smallest task itself takes more time like months then this problem appears. 

I want display as below: 

In notes I have entered (gathered information,Documented information datewise) But in gantt chart it display only first line for entire task which is not desirable. 

Prepare document task (suppose takes 2 weeks) I

1st week 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- gathered information

2nd week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Documented information

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:48 AM
  • You're welcome for the reply.  There are actually several Text fields (30).  So you could use each one of the fields for a weekly update.  Remove the "old" field from the Gantt view and add the new field.

Regarding only displaying the first line - the trick is do not press ENTER to start a new line.  Set the field in the view to wrap and avoid enters.

Are you also wanting to display the text next to the bars in the Gantt view?  That is going to be more work as you'll need to edit the bar format weekly.

• Marked as answer by vinay059 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:50 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think i have to that only there is no alternative.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:50 PM
  • You're welcome, Vinay059, and thank you for the feedback.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:27 PM