Licensing issue with Visio 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I've been tasked with creating an App-V package for Visio 2010. I'm a LibreOffice user myself, so not really that intimately familiar with the Microsoft licensing infrastructure. Per the guidelines presented by Microsoft, I'm on a Windows 7 32-bits system installing the 32-bits version of Visio 2010 and the Office deployment kit. We're using a KMS server for licensing.

I'm following the guidelines at "Prescriptive Guidance for Sequencing Office 2010 in App-V 4.6 SP1" at [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2627274[/url]. I've managed to install the Office Deployment Kit, passing the KMSSERVICENAME as one of the parameters (and added VISIOPRO=1). Now when I try launching the Visio installation, I still get prompted for the product key.

In the guide I'm following, and on all other websites giving a recipe for this sequence, it doesn't say anything about entering a product key. Am I misunderstanding the role of the KMS server when I expect to skip the "Enter product key" screen in the installation of Visio 2010? I thought it was there to "hand out" product keys to those machines authenticated on the network, so that this step could be skipped.

In addition to this, I'm just using the regular installer of Visio 2010. Is this correct, or is there some special installation file I should be using instead?

In advance thank you for your help.

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:18 PM

Answers

• Have you confirmed that the KMS server has a VISIO key? Take App-V out of the equation and ensure that installing Visio as you would do normally and confirm that it activates OK.

Also the OffVirt.msi should be installed via two command lines - one for the proxies and another for licensing. For example:

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi, Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core

and 

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi VISIOPRO=1 KMSSERVICENAME="myservicename"

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Hello,
    You must install it on the client.

Unless you also have virtualized other parts of Office - I advise against using anything before the VISIOPRO

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Whats the command-line that you are installing the Offvirt.msi on;

The sequencer

The client

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:19 PM
  • That was a quick reply.

I haven't installed it on the client yet, as I haven't been able to properly sequence it.

On the sequencer I ran this command:
    msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi, Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core VISIOPRO=1 KMSSERVICENAME="myservicename".

Port number is the default, so I left that out. The installation of the deployment kit seemed to go all right with no errors. .

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hello,
    You must install it on the client.

Unless you also have virtualized other parts of Office - I advise against using anything before the VISIOPRO

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hmm.

I haven't created a sequence yet, as it prompts me for the CD key when I try running the installation while sequencing. I have a CD key, but should I really be prompted for a CD key while sequencing Visio? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using KMS?

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Have you confirmed that the KMS server has a VISIO key? Take App-V out of the equation and ensure that installing Visio as you would do normally and confirm that it activates OK.

Also the OffVirt.msi should be installed via two command lines - one for the proxies and another for licensing. For example:

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi, Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core

and 

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi VISIOPRO=1 KMSSERVICENAME="myservicename"

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:21 PM