none
DHCP 2 separate pool RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

okay~, I have a subnet range is 172.16.1.0/16

and I created a DHCP pool from 172.16.1.200-172.16.1.250 (subnet mask still 255.255.0.0)

for some reason, i want to expand my DHCP pool, new range is 172.16.2.200-172.16.2.250

of cause i can modify the existing pool end address to 172.16.2.250

and then exclude from 172.16.1.251 to 172.16.2.199

yep, this is a way, but can i have another way to do that? something like add a new scope ? or something.

since i may be need to expend couple times in future, can I have a way just simple to "add" a new range?

thanks!

Jerry

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply.

There are three methods that you can use to change the number of IP hosts on any particular subnet.

1. Scope Extension
    2. Resubnetting
    3. Superscoping

The first option is the method your post mentioned. modify the existing pool end address to 172.16.2.250 and then exclude from 172.16.1.251 to 172.16.2.199”.

If you use the resubnetting option, you need to delete and re-create the DHCP scope with the new subnet mask (it is not possible to change only the mask for a particular scope).  

If you use the Superscoping in your situation, you also need to delete and re-create the DHCP scope with the new subnet mask.

Please refer to the following article,

Increasing the number of IP addresses on a subnet in DHCP Server

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255999/increasing-the-number-of-ip-addresses-on-a-subnet-in-dhcp-server

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards, 

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Jerry So Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Jerry,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

Based on my knowledge, I suggest you could create a new Scope 172.16.2.200 – 172.16.2.250, then create a SuperScope which combining the two scopes into.

Furthermore, you may also add some new scopes into the SuperScope for expansion in the future.

Please try the following link:

Superscopes

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958938.aspx

Creating and configuring a DHCP Superscope

http://www.vkernel.ro/blog/creating-and-configuring-a-dhcp-superscope

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information helpful. I look forward hearing your good news.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards, 

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:38 AM
  • I need the assigned ip mask is 255.255.0.0

lets make it more easy to understand:

if i have a subnet 192.168.1.0/24

and I set a range for DHCP, 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150

now, the range need expand , and some IP from 150 - 200 is being used. so i have to start from 200 to 250

means i need a 2 scope, 192.168.1.100 - 150 and 192.168.1.200 - 250 and both /24 subnet

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:41 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply.

There are three methods that you can use to change the number of IP hosts on any particular subnet.

1. Scope Extension
    2. Resubnetting
    3. Superscoping

The first option is the method your post mentioned. modify the existing pool end address to 172.16.2.250 and then exclude from 172.16.1.251 to 172.16.2.199”.

If you use the resubnetting option, you need to delete and re-create the DHCP scope with the new subnet mask (it is not possible to change only the mask for a particular scope).  

If you use the Superscoping in your situation, you also need to delete and re-create the DHCP scope with the new subnet mask.

Please refer to the following article,

Increasing the number of IP addresses on a subnet in DHCP Server

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/255999/increasing-the-number-of-ip-addresses-on-a-subnet-in-dhcp-server

Hope above information can help you.

Best regards, 

Michael

• Marked as answer by Jerry So Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:53 AM
  • re-subnet the whole subnet is not an option. since we bind lots of configure. FW, ACL etc...

seems the exclude some IP is only option.

thanks anyway

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Thanks for sharing here with us.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:48 AM