none
SQL Logs not Truncating RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having the same problem as this person, namely that the SQL logs are not truncating. Both version 2010. SQL 2008 R2 SP1.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsharepointbackup/thread/d3193a8f-9cb8-4ca4-a900-0b45df8310d4/

TruncateSharePointDbLogs is set to True

DB is recovery model Full, CM100

But the log still only has about 4 MB of about 2 GB free.

DPM says everyting is OK and I can restore from backups, and no errors in SharePoint.

Before anyone asks, yes, I am aware that the files don't shrink automatically! :)

The person above who had the problem is marked as answered because the answer was "something's made the log files big". :puzzled: In my case this answer is not appropriate because that's why I'm posting the question!

Is this just a bug? (If so, I'll set up a maintenence plan workaround.) Can anyone else confirm if their DPM definitely truncates the logs on an Express Full?

Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:48 AM

Answers

• I'm going to answer my own question as I've just encountered something weird which might help others: in this instance (maybe everytime - perhaps someone else can confirm?) the first express full backup (EFB) doesn't truncate the logs even though it is successful. But, the second one does. So,

Bloat the logs somehow --> EFB successfully = Log file not truncated. Then --> Another EFB = Logs truncated.

Weird!

• Marked as answer by M.a.r.k.T. _ Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:57 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:57 AM