100% Highest Activity Time since Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• My system running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit was running perfectly for almost 4 months now. But 2 days ago Windows made an automatic update and rebooted the computer and since then I noticed that the system hangs/freezes. So I noticed that the Highest Activity Time of my disk is 100% even there's no data transfer or sometimes only a few KB up to a maximum of 10MB. Beside this I noticed that if the system is in idle then the Highest Activity Time goes back to normal and all the programs get responsive again. It seems that as soon as there is a small data transfer on the disk the Highest Activity Time goes up to 100% right away and then the programs get unresponsive until the HAT goes down for 1 or 2 seconds or until the system is in idle.

Therefore I made all the necessary disk checks and my disk should be OK, even the S.M.A.R.T. report is OK. Beside this I've been browsing forums for two days now and I couldn't find any solutions regarding this issue.

I've also tried to make a system restore to a previous stable stage as the problems started after that Windows update but it didn't change anything. This is a very annoying situation as I use that computer as home server.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 7:13 AM

Answers

• This issue can be caused by software confliction. I suggest you temporary disable the antivirus and check the result. If the issue does not occur, you may reinstall the antivirus.

However if the issue persists after you disable the antivirus, please troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, April 22, 2011 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:00 AM