unable to reload windows 10 after crash RRS feed

• Question

• used the free upgrade when it was offered several years ago but latest windows 10 upgrade (v1704) crashed the system.  Reloaded windows 7 , but cannot get back to windows 10.  Media creation tool says you will not need a product key, not so - went through the process & could not complete without entering a product key...
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:19 PM

Answers

• Do you have the original recovery media that came with your system? This should've contain a licence or it is stamped on the computer somewhere.

Nevertheless i find it strange that you are using Windows 7 Professional and not a home edition wich is what is normally provisioned.

So I would recommend firstly to verify if this is the original SKU of Windows 7 that came with your system. Then activate it with a genuine key that was preinstalled in your system. After the system is genuine again you should follow the steps in the article I sent you earlier.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Hope it helps,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

Thanks,

EduardoMendes

• Marked as answer by J Bodine Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:25 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:03 PM

All replies

• isn't there any option to skip that step? Windows will activate it automatically after the installation.
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:30 PM
  • Hello J

you should first verify that your system is fully activated.If you check the properties of your system you should see the following logo:

If it is genuine, you could try the actions described in the following article to upgrade to Windows 10:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Hope it helps,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

Thanks,

EduardoMendes

Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:43 PM
  • nope, says:

"windows isn't active on this PC - option is to enter window 10 product key, or exit setup, activate windows and then start setup again."

makes no sense as windows 7 professional is what is runniung...

Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Do you have the original recovery media that came with your system? This should've contain a licence or it is stamped on the computer somewhere.

Nevertheless i find it strange that you are using Windows 7 Professional and not a home edition wich is what is normally provisioned.

So I would recommend firstly to verify if this is the original SKU of Windows 7 that came with your system. Then activate it with a genuine key that was preinstalled in your system. After the system is genuine again you should follow the steps in the article I sent you earlier.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

EduardoMendes

• Marked as answer by J Bodine Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:25 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 1:03 PM
  • That was it - needed to activate windows 7 with the original product key, then run the creation tool.  Thanks much, Jethro...
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:27 PM