Windows 2008 R2 caching issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having the following issue, which we first started noticing when we began to use Windows 7 (although it's not related, but explains why we haven't seen it before).

We're using Windows 2008 R2 servers as File Servers.

We use DNS aliasses to access these servers.  The issue is as follows:

\\server1\share\NEWFolder (has a dns alias \\alias1\share\NEWFolder)

I create this NEWFolder using Server2 (also win2008R2) (so on the location \\alias1\share).

Now when I try to go to \\alias1\share on Server3 (also Win2008R2), this folder doesn't exist.  Hitting refresh multiple times doesn't change anything.  Now, when I go to \\server1\share on Server3, I do see the file.

Either waiting something like 5 minutes or create a file/folder, using -for example- Client1 (xp or win7), seems to force a hard refresh on the 'cache' and it shows. 

Reproducing this issue is a nightmare, because once you had this issue, and the folder appeared, everything created afterwards appears immediatly. 

As said, we started noticing this as we're rolling out Windows7.  Windows XP users never have this problem.  When working on 2 servers, I noticed this problem appears also, so it's not a Win7 client issue.

Anyone saw this issue already?
    Thanks
    Danny

Greetings, Danny <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="397px" height="180px" src="https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/DannydeHaan/card"></iframe>

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi.

To be able to use an DNS alias you need to disable Strict name checking, Yes I know the technet article says SQL but it is the right service they modify.

What I would suggest doing it another way than just a DNS alias. The following would configure the server and create the needed kerberos principals.

netdom computername <servername> /add <serveralias>

Oscar Virot

Friday, February 24, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Hello Oscar,

thanks for the reply and sorry for the late answer (Weekend + holiday ;) ).  DisableStrichNameChecking is by default configured on all our fileservers. 

The alias for the server where I had the issue the last time, already exists (netdom compname server /enum shows the correct server).  So I'm guessing this is not it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Danny

Greetings, Danny <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="397px" height="180px" src="https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/DannydeHaan/card"></iframe>

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:41 AM