none
Deployment is getting stuck after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a reference image using microsoft guide, but when I deploy it, it gets stuck (nothing literally happens) at login screen.
    Launching LiteTouch.wsp doesn't help either. 

BDD.log doesn't contain any errors, the last two strings are:

<![LOG[LTI initiating task sequence-requested reboot.]LOG]!><time="12:05:05.000+000" date="10-27-2017" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[Event 41017 sent: LTI initiating task sequence-requested reboot.]LOG]!><time="12:05:05.000+000" date="10-27-2017" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Everything is by default, though I'm setting up an admin account, can this be a case?

• Edited by Alex Riben Monday, October 30, 2017 1:37 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 1:36 PM

Answers

• I recreated image from scratch by following Microsoft guide. Unfortunately I faced the same issue.

So I decided to go another way and create a provisioning package in Windows Configuration Designer. I used powershell scripts along with manually crafted CABs to deploy everything I needed. It works like a charm so far. Some interaction in the beginning is needed though. 

• Marked as answer by Alex Riben Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:33 AM

All replies

• So in other words, after Post-Setup phase completes in WinPE and your system goes through the specialize phase, after the initial auto-login, nothing happens?

When you setup a new admin account, are you renaming / deactivating existing built-in account?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:42 PM
  • not sure if I understood your correctly. it basically reboots and stays at login screen for ever. 

I'm not renaming or deactivating a built-in account, I enable admin account via unattend.xml (oobeSystem).

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:30 PM
  • In other words, MDT does that by default. Can you still login using the password you specified in your CustomSettings.ini?

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:47 PM
  • Yes. It works as intended, though modifications I made in image and task sequence aren't applied.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:55 PM
  • I am still somewhat confused as to when the OSD grinds to a halt, after or before MDT performs automatic login? Because if the latter, does the password you are specifying in CustomSettings.ini for your built-in admin account still work?

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Apologies if I wasn't clear about the issue I experience.

MDT doesn't perform automatic login. It doesn't do anything once it rebooted (it stays at login screen). If I press any key, it shows administrator account and offers to enter a password.

I entered the same admin password in unattend.xml and in customsettings.ini, so I'm not sure where does it take it from exactly.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Fascinating, I will need to look up where MDT sets up auto logon entries and come back to you. I am still somewhat fuzzy on one thing: does the admin password you supply in CustomSettings.ini work for manual logon? Does the TS kicks off once you log in? Btw, entering a password in unattend.xml is absolutely rendundant - MDT queries contents of CustomSettings.in i and fills out the blanks in the unattend.xml file.

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Automatic logon gets cleared (I forgot if that started with 1703 or MDT 8443). This can easily be overcome by creating a task to add it back in before the first reboot happens.

Save the PowerShell script to your Scripts folder in your deployment share.

$RegPath = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
    $AdminPass = '$ecRetP@ssW0d'
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "AutoAdminLogon" -Value "1" -type String
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "AutoLogonCount" -Value "999" -type String
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "DefaultPassword" -Value $AdminPass -type String
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "DefaultUsername" -Value "Administrator" -type String
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "DefaultDomainName" -Value "." -type String

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Thanks Anton and Dan for the help.

I was very busy today and didn't have a chance to take a look at it. I only built a new image with "Set Autologin" script to try it tomorrow. I will report you my findings.

Anton, the password from CustomSettings.ini works for manual logon, but once I logon nothing happens.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:46 PM
  • An update.

I included changes Dan offered, but faced the same issue with the same message in the BDD.log.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Hard to say without looking over your task sequence or all the logs.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:05 PM
  • As Dan said, without BDD.log it is tough to say what's going on. Usually, the Configure step in the Post-Install phase sets AutoLogon entries and unattend.xml re-enables local admin account. I am a bit fuzzy on the details as to how MDT sets up initial auto logon, I believe it creates a shortcut into the AllUsersStartup.

MDT might get somewhat confused if you are creating a new admin account or renaming existing admin account. Could you upload BDD.log so that I can have a look?

Cheers,
    Anton

Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:56 PM
  • I understand, but I'm not renaming it I also removed admin account from CustomSettings.ini, but it didn't help.

The log file is here.

Friday, November 3, 2017 11:11 AM
  • I see a few issues.

You're doing a Media deployment. Your selection profile for your Media does not have drivers or the package your have specified on the media so there aren't being injected. Also don't forget that when you do media deployment it does not make a copy of your main CustomSettings.ini but gets its own and you have to make modifications to it, not your network accessible deployment share.

Friday, November 3, 2017 1:47 PM
  • The drivers are installed via "Set DriverGroup001" task as per guide. And the folder with the drivers is selected in the media. I also have customSettings.ini copied and edited in the offline media folder.

CustomSettings.ini

Offline Media

Task Sequence

Monday, November 6, 2017 11:07 AM
  • It's not working because according to your logs, the Model is 20J1003TMH

So that would explain why it's missing a bunch of drivers. Correct that first and then give it another try so as to eliminate missing drivers as the cause for issues.

Monday, November 6, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Lenovo's can be somewhat problematic to deal with since Lenovo stores actual model name in a different place. The easiest way to work around this nuissance is to use ModelAlias approach. There are many reasons to use ModelAlias approach instead of the cryptic name MDT can gather since Lenovo had changed model identifier in the past. Take a look at this walkthrough:

Instead of hard coding actual model names as shown in the example above, I would query WMI class ComputerSystemProduct as this would automatically pull data from WMI and populate the ModelAlias property:

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, November 6, 2017 2:59 PM
  • In one of the guides on the internet I read that for Lenovo models I can use first four letters from a model number.

I've updated the drivers folder accordingly (used the full model name), but encountered the same issue. The log file is the same.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:18 AM
  • I recreated image from scratch by following Microsoft guide. Unfortunately I faced the same issue.

So I decided to go another way and create a provisioning package in Windows Configuration Designer. I used powershell scripts along with manually crafted CABs to deploy everything I needed. It works like a charm so far. Some interaction in the beginning is needed though. 

• Marked as answer by Alex Riben Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:33 AM