none
DPM Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Is there anyway to create a custom reports for DPM that will allow us to see what files were backed up and what files failed to backup on a nightly basis?  I am looking for something that looks like what Backup Exec or Netbackup gives you with regards to job status.

For example, I am backing up 2 servers.  Server1 and Server2.  Server1 is a VM Host with 5 VMs running and Server2 is the File and Print Server.  I am backing up the 5 VMs on Server1 and I am backing up the C:\ drive on Server2.  At the end of the job, I would like to get a report that will tell me what exact files were backed up on each server and what was missed.  Is there anyway to do this?  We have auditors that require this information and I find it bizarre that this is not part of the core DPM Reports Package.

DPM is 2007 SP1.  We can upgrade to 2010 if that will help.

Thank you for any information provided.

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:08 PM

Answers

• DPM really does not work like other backup products.  If the protected member is in sync (status is OK), then all files - 100% of them - are "backed up".  Likewise each recovery point definitely has every file.  There is no such thing as skipped files with DPM.  If it *did* miss a file (which can't really happen), the replica would go into an "inconsistent" state and you would not get any recovery points until that was resolved.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Hi Rajamataz!

Here's a TechNet link that provides the information you need to create custom reports. Upgrading to DPM 2010 is a good idea.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399120.aspx

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:27 AM

All replies

• DPM really does not work like other backup products.  If the protected member is in sync (status is OK), then all files - 100% of them - are "backed up".  Likewise each recovery point definitely has every file.  There is no such thing as skipped files with DPM.  If it *did* miss a file (which can't really happen), the replica would go into an "inconsistent" state and you would not get any recovery points until that was resolved.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Hi Rajamataz!

Here's a TechNet link that provides the information you need to create custom reports. Upgrading to DPM 2010 is a good idea.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399120.aspx

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:27 AM
  • File level reports are not available, since you seem to be protecting the VM servers, As said above, if a recovery point for the a VM server is successfull you may treat it as all the data present in thos VMs is backed-up. You can find the files to be backed-up and its associated recovery point status to know weather a file is backed-up or not.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Are you serious?

This product is supposed to be an Enterprise Backup Program?  Or am I wrong here?

Can you get this report from SCOM or another source?  If so I can open a ticket with MS to get it done. 

I find it amusing that the native Windows Backup can give me the report I want but DPM cannot (or doesn't want to).  Why wouldn't reports of what was backed up in each job be native out of the box?  Just looking to see the thought process behind the ommission.

Is this a report you might want to think of adding into the product for future release?  Its pretty basic stuff I would think regardless of "DPM being different from proper backup programs". 

I can't believe I am the first person complaining of this.

Thanks for your responses and help anyway...

Monday, December 6, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Something even easier.  A Print and\or Export Button on the Jobs Tab under Monitoring.  We can create whatever filter we like and then print it out or export it into Excel or PDF and away we go.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:02 PM