Storage Replica Asynchronous Replication Failover - How to? RRS feed

• Question

• I've followed this guide in setting up a 4 node stretch cluster for a File Server role (https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/stretch-cluster-replication-using-shared-storage)

Nodes in the Primary site (i.e. NY) share storage with each other. The TX servers also share storage with each other. The SR partnership between NY & TX is Asynchronous.

I can "power off" (or drain) the roles from NYSRV01 successfully to NYSRV02. I can also reverse the relationship between NY & TX for scheduled maintenance. However, in the event of DR, I cannot power off both NY nodes.

In a Synchronized SR-Partnership, this is possible. In an Asynchronous one, even when "inRPO", I cannot.

What am i missing here?

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi. Please review https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-known-issues. This is documented here (2nd from bottom).

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Principal Program Manager for Storage Replica, DFS Replication, Scale-out File Server, SMB, other stuff

• Marked as answer by lokisavo Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Ned, thanks for taking the time to reply. 

So, if I understand correctly, in the case of the NY site going down hard, I should use this command?

Set-SRPartnership -NewSourceComputerName "TXSRV01" -SourceRGName "Replication 2" -DestinationComputerName "NYSRV01" -DestinationRGName "Replication 1"

Which results in an error since it can't find the NY servers.

I can gracefully move the roles when both sites are up, but my thought here is DR where NY is down.

EDIT: Ned you're actually right but it's unclear as explained in the Known Issues article you've referenced. While the command is corrrect, you need to specify the OTHER node in the same site. In other words:

Set-SRPartnership -NewSourceComputerName "TXSRV01" -SourceRGName "Replication 2" -DestinationComputerName "TXSRV02" -DestinationRGName "Replication 1"

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi. Please review https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-known-issues. This is documented here (2nd from bottom).

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Principal Program Manager for Storage Replica, DFS Replication, Scale-out File Server, SMB, other stuff

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:01 PM

So, if I understand correctly, in the case of the NY site going down hard, I should use this command?

Set-SRPartnership -NewSourceComputerName "TXSRV01" -SourceRGName "Replication 2" -DestinationComputerName "NYSRV01" -DestinationRGName "Replication 1"

I can gracefully move the roles when both sites are up, but my thought here is DR where NY is down.

• Edited by lokisavo Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:54 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:53 PM

EDIT: Ned you're actually right but it's unclear as explained in the Known Issues article you've referenced. While the command is corrrect, you need to specify the OTHER node in the same site. In other words:

Set-SRPartnership -NewSourceComputerName "TXSRV01" -SourceRGName "Replication 2" -DestinationComputerName "TXSRV02" -DestinationRGName "Replication 1"

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:46 AM