SharePoint 2010 - Custom Timer Jobs are NOT running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are working on SharePoint 2010 portal. We have created custom timer job using Visual Studio and deployed using WSP package (as a feature). This is working fine in Test environment. But in production environment, click on ‘Run Now’ button, it is not executing. We couldn’t able to see entry under either ‘Job History’ or ‘Running Jobs’ or ‘Scheduled Jobs’. We haven't received any error in event log or SharePoint log.

The only one difference between production and test environment is that test environment has only one server but production has 2 web front end and 2 application servers.

We have restarted IIS, SharePoint 2010 Administration, SharePoint 2010 Timer, SharePoint 2010 Tracing services in all the web front end and SharePoint application servers.

Does anyone has any inputs on the same?

• Edited by Raman Nambi Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:49 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:28 PM

Answers

• i figured my issue out, you need to install the timer job as the farm account.

SharePoint 2010 MCITP & MCPD | Office 365 MCITP My Blog | My Work

Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:30 AM

All replies

• When you restarted the SharePoint Timer Jobs - did you do with within Central Admin or via the Windows Services dialog? I have had problems with the service running the right vision of the service if the timer job is not restarted from the Windows Services dialog (on all servers) on a QA environment with 2 WFE and 2 App servers.

This might help you.

Simon Rennocks | SharePoint 2010 MCITP & MCPD | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 | Blog | LinkedIn
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

We have restarted the SharePoint Timer jobs from Windows service dialog only (in all the servers).

Any inputs to resolve this issue?

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi ,

Can you tell me how to restart "Sharepoint 2010 administration", because we are too facing the same problem in our company .

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:38 AM
  • SharePoint 2010 administration he was referring to is a Windows Service in the Services Management Console, with is also where the SharePoint Timer server is located. You will need to restart on all the servers in attached to your Farm.

Simon Rennocks | SharePoint 2010 MCITP & MCPD | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 | Blog | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

We have a custom asp.net application running under Sharepoint , in which we have defined some timer jobs . We have configured them in the windows scheduler jobs of the web front end servers  . But we are too facing the same problem as the timer jobs are not getting started .

Any thought on it .

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Have you verified that their definitions have been added into Central Administration Timer Definitions? Can you manually start them? How often should they be running? If they can be manually started I would debug the timer code by attaching to the OWSTimer.exe process.
    • Marked as answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chris Grist Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:43 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 2:58 PM
  • It will not work because of the OWSTIMER. Recreate and test the functionality of the solution in a farm with multiple servers.

SharePoint is choosing randomly one of the WFE servers from the farm for OWSTIMER in order to execute timer jobs.

The behavior of a custom timer job that has been developed in a farm with a single server is different from a farm with multiple servers.

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Rock, stop marking answers that are not answers.

Did you solve this one we are having the same issue.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:43 AM
  • i figured my issue out, you need to install the timer job as the farm account.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:30 AM