Forefront Client Security not updated Forefront Definition files Automatically RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Forefront Client Security installed on a Windows Server 2008 machine.  It gets windows updates and Forefront updates directly from the Microsoft site. (WSUS is not used)

Windows updates are automatically detected and a notification appears when new updates become available.

However with the Forefront updates, unless I press Check for Updates the Forefront updates do not get download automatically.  If I press Check for updates, then the latest Definition Files are downloaded.

On the settings the Scan is set to run daily with the option for checking for new updates  before scanning is enabled, but despite the scan running on a daily basis the Forefront definitions are not updated.

Would any body be able to tell me how to make the client update Forefront definition files automatically?

• Changed type Rick Tan Friday, February 17, 2012 7:28 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Check your Windows update settings and make sure that the option "install update automaticaly" is selected for important updates and the recommanded updates options are selected. But note that these options will be applied to all updates not only Forefront, so I strongly recommand you use a WSUS server for better management and control.

Bechir Gharbi | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/community/members/bgharbi/ | Time zone : GMT+1

• Marked as answer by Rick Tan Monday, February 27, 2012 2:01 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thank you very much for the advice, will check it out.
    • Marked as answer by edogawa Friday, March 9, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Check your Windows update settings and make sure that the option "install update automaticaly" is selected for important updates and the recommanded updates options are selected. But note that these options will be applied to all updates not only Forefront, so I strongly recommand you use a WSUS server for better management and control.

Bechir Gharbi | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/community/members/bgharbi/ | Time zone : GMT+1

• Marked as answer by Rick Tan Monday, February 27, 2012 2:01 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thank you very much for the advice, will check it out.
    • Marked as answer by edogawa Friday, March 9, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:24 AM
  • on a similar note ....

We have disconnected clients (in a workgroup) and therefor configured to get their update from a UNC path to another server (in a domain).  We share the UNC path on the server however during the scheduled time when the client attempts to get the new definition the task fails and the Event Viewer indicates a failure,  the user the client is using for the update task is NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVER, how can I change which user is requesting the definition from the UNC path?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:38 PM