none
Project 2010 Server - Users loosing permissions to Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I am having an issue where some of our users are loosing permissions to certain projects. It is not always the same ones. It is even ones that they own.

I have done some searching through the forums but cannot seem to find the same issue.

Has anyone come across this or know what could be causing it?

We are running Project 2010 server on SharePoint 2010 platform.

Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:03 AM

All replies

• User are losing permission in project site or project ?? If it is project site then

May be users to whom access has been given manually and after every publish and change resource permission they were loose the permission to project site. 

Choose only one approach described below then you will not face the issue 

1.either Check to automatically synchronize Project Web App users" in PWA --> Server setting  so that all the resource who are present in Project build team get the access.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197668(v=office.14).aspx

When you have this enabled, it doesn't sync all of the Project Web App users from the top level site, it only syncs users to the project site that should have access based on the following rules:

Project managers who have published a project or who have Save Project 
    permissions on a project are added to the Project Managers (Microsoft Project 
    Server) site group.
    Team members with assignments in a project are added to the Team members 
    (Microsoft Project Server) site group.
    Other Project Server users who have View Project Site permission on a 
    project are added to the Readers (Microsoft Project Server) site group.

2.  or If you disable Check to automatically synchronize Project Web App users" then either Administrator need to give access to project site to required resources. this one is manual work and hectic to administrator to mention the up to date permission  

kirtesh

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hello Miggi03

Could it be Security Group settings.   The permissions settings are dynamic based on your RBS and the permission setting.  This sounds like what you are experiencing. I would look closely at the Groups and Categories and how the RBS is defined.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Thank you both for your replies.

Kirtesh

May be users to whom access has been given manually and after every publish and change resource permission they were loose the permission to project site. 

This is exactly what is happening. People loose access to their projects even if they created them after someone alters them

I have checked the Active Directory settings it is set to Auto synchronise but there is no group selected at the top which makes me think this is incorrect.

Is it worth disabling this? From what I understand this is more admin overhead but we only have 10 users who actively use Project server or is this being short sighted. Again thanks for your responses and advice.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:35 AM