none
Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am looking for some documentation on what MIM 2016 can do for our project and that is getting very difficult to find some info.

We are implementing a web site for some future customers and we need a repository to keep the users/pass and their attributes, like we've been doing in Active Directory in the last years. In this website, we intend to have the login page to validate the credentials of the user. So far so good.

What I'm trying to find now is: is it possible to use MIM2016 as this repository and use any kind of webservice to validate the credentials used, via C# .net/vb.net or should we use AD as always and MIM2016 is only to manage all the users in several plataforms?

thsnk you so much,

JW

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:15 PM

Answers

• Hello John,

for the scenario you mention, MIM is not the right product for you.

MIM is for identity management and mostly lifecycle management, it combines different source of identities and keeps them in sync, while you can have livecycle management processes on top of it and create automated processes for them.

It it not an identity store that you can use for authentication.

You can use AD as your store for example like you mention and when thinking of a cloud solution maby also take a look on AzureAD B2C (Business to Consumer) which ist some kind of specialized AzureAD for application scenarios, having beside local accounts also the abbility to support social identities.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by John Woods NB Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:32 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hello John,

for the scenario you mention, MIM is not the right product for you.

MIM is for identity management and mostly lifecycle management, it combines different source of identities and keeps them in sync, while you can have livecycle management processes on top of it and create automated processes for them.

It it not an identity store that you can use for authentication.

You can use AD as your store for example like you mention and when thinking of a cloud solution maby also take a look on AzureAD B2C (Business to Consumer) which ist some kind of specialized AzureAD for application scenarios, having beside local accounts also the abbility to support social identities.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by John Woods NB Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:32 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 8:34 PM
  • Hi Peter.

Thank you so much for your help, that's exactly what I needed to know.

JW

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:32 AM