Host Two web applications same ip address and diffrent port numbers in sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• hi All,

I have two web applications with different port numbers in sharepoint 2010... now i have to host them in same IP address....daoes any one have a knowledge about this... if any one knows please let me know....

Friday, March 2, 2012 11:07 AM

Answers

• You stated that you have 2 web apps on different port numbers. Are they using the same host header?

If they'll be on the same IP, will they have unique host headers or ports?

SharePoint's web applications are reliant on IIS and its functionality. All IIS web sites (a SharePoint web application) have to be unique. There are three values that can create a unique website: IP address, Port and Host Header. However, the two you care about are Port and Host Header. SharePoint doesn't keep track of what IP your host headers are on (DNS handles that, and can only allow one host header to point to one IP) To host multiple sites on one server, you have to use a unique combination of the port and host header.

HTH

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:47 PM

All replies

• You stated that you have 2 web apps on different port numbers. Are they using the same host header?

If they'll be on the same IP, will they have unique host headers or ports?

SharePoint's web applications are reliant on IIS and its functionality. All IIS web sites (a SharePoint web application) have to be unique. There are three values that can create a unique website: IP address, Port and Host Header. However, the two you care about are Port and Host Header. SharePoint doesn't keep track of what IP your host headers are on (DNS handles that, and can only allow one host header to point to one IP) To host multiple sites on one server, you have to use a unique combination of the port and host header.

HTH

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

If your web application is on http it is possible. If it is on https it is not possible. In the second case starting one will stop the other one.

This mapping needs to be carried out in host file.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:24 PM
  • thanks David....it helps me more
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 10:08 AM