Restarting computer while installing Nvidia drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my computer has broken, so I gave him to my friend and he fixed it for me. But he didn't install drivers for graphic card. My card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512. When I try to install drivers it goes to middle of installation and then it goes to black screen with ? over it, and then just to black screen and a I have to restart computer. Can you please help me? Thanks :) (sorry for my bad english)...
    Friday, July 8, 2011 4:17 PM

Answers

• Open your computers case and look at your video card see if it has the manufacturers names stamped on it somewhere if not try the steps below.

One way to figure it out is uninstall the original video drivers reboot... when it comes back into windows it will be using the basic video driver that comes with windows (or at least should be, sometimes the video driver "might" be preloaded with your windows install).

Once you have rebooted you can try 1 of 2 things here to see if it is actually your video drivers that were causing the issue.....

1. leave the windows basic video drivers installed temporarily to see if your still getting the reboots (if you are its not your video drivers)

2. Go to windows update and let it download the recommended video driver (I don't normally recommend allowing windows to install device drivers for video cards but sometimes they get it right... NEVER let windows update, install motherboard specific drivers, always get them from the motherboard maker).

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, July 18, 2011 8:07 AM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies

• What exactly was broken and what did he fix? Did he replace the video card?
    Please get all the details and post as a reply.

what version driver and where did you get the driver? is this the one detected
    by Windows?

I would start by going into device manager, expanding the device tree, and
    delete/uninstall the driver for the video card, and when asked if you want to
    delete the driver, say YES.

Reboot, then get the driver from the nvidia site

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:17:32 +0000, Pukcounek_Cz wrote:

>Hello, my computer has broken, so I gave him to my friend and he fixed it for me. But he didn't install drivers for graphic card. My card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512. When I try to install drivers it goes to middle of installation and then it goes to black screen with ? over it, and then just to black screen and a I have to restart computer. Can you please help me? Thanks :) (sorry for my bad english)...

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, July 8, 2011 4:45 PM
  • I really don't know what he repaired, but he didn't replace video card. I tryed rebooting and re-instaling drivers, but it restarted again.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Try to find out who the manufacturer of your NVIDIA video card is, then go to the site and download their driver for your card it will most likely work correctly then...

MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL ANY OLD VIDEO DRIVERS FIRST BEFORE INSTALLING NEW DRIVERS.

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:06 AM
  • did you specifically uninstall the driver and answer yes when asked about
    deleting the driver?

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:04:57 +0000, Pukcounek_Cz wrote:

>I really don't know what he repaired, but he didn't replace video card. I tryed rebooting and re-instaling drivers, but it restarted again.

Barb Bowman

Saturday, July 9, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Yes, I did that, didn't help.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 3:23 PM
  • And how can I find it? I don't have any manual or anything. I tried to download drivers from Nvidia site, but it did the same thing.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 3:24 PM
  • do you have the drivers that originally came with the computer? what is the
    brand and exact model number of this computer?

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 15:23:51 +0000, Pukcounek_Cz wrote:

>Yes, I did that, didn't help.

Barb Bowman

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Open your computers case and look at your video card see if it has the manufacturers names stamped on it somewhere if not try the steps below.

One way to figure it out is uninstall the original video drivers reboot... when it comes back into windows it will be using the basic video driver that comes with windows (or at least should be, sometimes the video driver "might" be preloaded with your windows install).

Once you have rebooted you can try 1 of 2 things here to see if it is actually your video drivers that were causing the issue.....

1. leave the windows basic video drivers installed temporarily to see if your still getting the reboots (if you are its not your video drivers)

2. Go to windows update and let it download the recommended video driver (I don't normally recommend allowing windows to install device drivers for video cards but sometimes they get it right... NEVER let windows update, install motherboard specific drivers, always get them from the motherboard maker).

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, July 18, 2011 8:07 AM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:53 PM