Quick Launch ? RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7, Is there a way to have the quick launch instead of open taskbar icons, to me it looks cleaner to have the icons hidden than standing out in the open all the time ?
    e-mail me @ rlg_b_me@yahoo.com
    Thanks
    rlg_b_me
    Monday, May 25, 2009 4:11 PM

Answers

• rlg_b_me:

In Windows 7, Quick Launch features have been integrated into application switching in the taskbar. Right clicking an application and selecting "Pin this program to taskbar" will keep it there for easy access.

To make a quick and easy way to launch programs without keeping them on your taskbar, you can right click the taskbar and choose "Toolbars > New Toolbar..." and select a folder filled with shortcuts to your favorite applications.

It's also very easy to pin a program to the Start menu. Simply navigate to it in the Start menu, right click, and choose "Pin to start menu".

Also, for those that want to emulate the look of the old Windows taskbar, you can right click the taskbar, select "Properties", check "Use small icons" and select "Never combine" for the "Taskbar buttons" option.

I hope you're able to customize the interface to your liking.

-Nick
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:13 PM

All replies

• rlg_b_me:

In Windows 7, Quick Launch features have been integrated into application switching in the taskbar. Right clicking an application and selecting "Pin this program to taskbar" will keep it there for easy access.

To make a quick and easy way to launch programs without keeping them on your taskbar, you can right click the taskbar and choose "Toolbars > New Toolbar..." and select a folder filled with shortcuts to your favorite applications.

It's also very easy to pin a program to the Start menu. Simply navigate to it in the Start menu, right click, and choose "Pin to start menu".

Also, for those that want to emulate the look of the old Windows taskbar, you can right click the taskbar, select "Properties", check "Use small icons" and select "Never combine" for the "Taskbar buttons" option.

I hope you're able to customize the interface to your liking.

-Nick
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Check this tutorual out, it worked for me on the Beta, I haven't tried it on RC1 though.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/14/how-to-enable-or-disable-quick-launch-bar-toolbar-in-windows-7/

The only problem I had was that it disappeared once, though I'm not sure if it was something I did or not and the next day I reformatted and installed RC1.  I've been using the new bar since and it's starting to grow on me (I also sympathize since I've been using the Quick Launch for 10 years and it did exactly what I wanted it to). 

Anyway, see if this helps you get the best of both worlds!
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:23 PM