No "line-in" option for Conexant High Def SmartAudio 221? Please help RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the net 'til I'm blue in the face for a resolution but have no luck whatsoever. 

I just purchased an HP Pavilion dv2700 w/ Vista 32 Home.  For some reason, my audio preferences are completely void of a "line-in" option so that I can record from my cassette and turntable.  It's not under "show disconnected devices" or "show disabled devices" and installing the driver again from HP's website did nothing.  I emailed their tech support and got this response:

"I would like to inform you that, your notebook does not have the line-in option to record the anything from the tape and turntable to the pc.

For more information, you can go through the below mentioned Web site for the options of your notebook:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01302347&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3648329&dlc=en&lang=en#N357"

I've read where other people have had this problem (with other sound cards) and been able to fix it by altering their registry settings.  Those resolutions didn't work for me.  Would anyone here be able to give me insight into how to fix this?

Also - - if I replace Vista with XP, would I then have my "line-in" option back?  Thanks in advance!

Fuzzy

Monday, March 3, 2008 8:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Fuzzy,

The problem seems is a hardware issue which the hardware manufactor should be the best relevant resource for this question. And I believe the HP techical support's answer should be right. Or you may like to upgrade the audio device driver to a newest Windows Vista compatible version as a test.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Fuzzy,

The problem seems is a hardware issue which the hardware manufactor should be the best relevant resource for this question. And I believe the HP techical support's answer should be right. Or you may like to upgrade the audio device driver to a newest Windows Vista compatible version as a test.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:01 AM
  • I have a new gateway laptop (Vista 64 and CHD SmartAudio 221) which does not have a line-in port option but I can copy music via earphone port.  Voice recognition enhancement must be deselected or music is distorted.  Use appropriate stereo/mono plug consistent with input or you might get output through a single ear.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:52 PM