I want a 'date', on front page, to be reflected on all my headers automatically. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document which has a date which is changed manually with every revision. Now I want that date to be reflected on headers automatically without manually editing header every time.
    Friday, July 11, 2014 6:23 AM

Answers

• You have a number of options. If you use a:
    • DATE field, that will display the current date.
    • CREATEDATE field, that will display the date on which the file was created, or last saved via Save As.
    • SAVEDATE field, that will display the date on which the file was last saved.
    • PRINTDATE field, that will display the date on which the file was last printed.
    These fields can all be inserted via Insert|Quick Parts|Field. Of the above, I'd be inclined to use the CREATEDATE field, saving the document via Save As whenever a revision is ready for release, then releasing it. For publication purposes, though, I'd recommend the PDF format, as that ensures the users won't inadvertently change the date via their own Save As.

Note: If you prefer to type the date on the front page, you can apply a unique Style to it, then reference that Style via a STYLEREF field in the header. This field, too, can be inserted via Insert|Quick Parts|Field.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:08 AM

All replies

• You have a number of options. If you use a:
    • DATE field, that will display the current date.
    • CREATEDATE field, that will display the date on which the file was created, or last saved via Save As.
    • SAVEDATE field, that will display the date on which the file was last saved.
    • PRINTDATE field, that will display the date on which the file was last printed.
    These fields can all be inserted via Insert|Quick Parts|Field. Of the above, I'd be inclined to use the CREATEDATE field, saving the document via Save As whenever a revision is ready for release, then releasing it. For publication purposes, though, I'd recommend the PDF format, as that ensures the users won't inadvertently change the date via their own Save As.

Note: If you prefer to type the date on the front page, you can apply a unique Style to it, then reference that Style via a STYLEREF field in the header. This field, too, can be inserted via Insert|Quick Parts|Field.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:08 AM
  • Supplementing the answer you have received:

StyleRef Field

Using Date Fields in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:20 PM