none
Not able to find Prevent Access to Registry Editing Tools

Question

• Hello all,

I got a task to enable this option in our environment, 

iI got to know that this is the path User Configuration -Administrative Templates -System and open Prevent access to registry editing tools

when i goto GPMC in our DC win 2012R2 , not able to find system under Administrative Template.

i tried to search ADMx and ADMl template from local machine, but not able to find related template

Please advise

Aamir

NA

Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

It sounds like you have a filter turned on.  Refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949360 for a resolution.  Below is a copy/paste verbatim from that KB article (article says 2008 but this can happen on 2012 also.) 

• You run the Group Policy Management Console (Gpmc.msc) on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008.
    • You open the Group Policy Management Editor to edit a Group Policy object (GPO).
    • You right-click the Administrative Templates item, and then you click Filter Options.
    • You click to select the Enable Requirements Filters check box, you select any platform in the list, and then you click OK to apply the setting.

In this scenario, some templates in the Administrative Templates item are missing. If you right-click the Administrative Templates item and then clear the Filter On menu, these templates reappear. 

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 05, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Hello Alvwan

Thanks for the reply.

I can asure that the filter option and Filter ON  is not on, both are unchecked only.

but still i do not get the System under Administrative template.

what is the name of the template which give System option in ADmin template, so i can copy it from 2008 Server and paste in the central store here

Please advise

NA

Friday, August 05, 2016 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend you check the following thread and article before further actions:

No Administrative Templates node in Group Policy Editor - Windows 7 x64 with RSAT client, Windows 2003 SP2 DC

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/61dcd25d-fce6-44fd-a4cb-63227be97698/no-administrative-templates-node-in-group-policy-editor-windows-7-x64-with-rsat-client-windows?forum=winserverGP

Some templates are missing in the Administrative Templates item after you enable a filter option by using the Group Policy Management Editor window on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949360

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 08, 2016 6:49 AM