none
Certain Models Won't PXE Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have had WDS/MDT set up in our environment for years, but recently we got in a couple of new model computers that will not PXE boot. Note that these models do PXE boot in one of our locations but not the other (same state, different city). We tried injecting every driver we could find that may fix the issue but it doesn't work - I don't believe this is a driver related issue since it works at the other location. The models that don't work are Dell Latitude 5480 and Dell Precision T3620. All of our other models work without any issues at both locations.

When trying to PXE boot I get the error : PXE-E53: No boot filename received 

I am in the Desktop Support office and we have separate offices for both Networking and Server so I am limited in what I can look into on the network/server end. I would like to ask them about this but I need more details other than these models don't work for them to properly look into this issue. I can't find great information on how to troubleshoot a failed PXE boot - how would I get the client log so I can see what's going on? Any other suggestions on what may be going on network/server related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:41 PM

All replies

• I ran into the same issue at one of our school sites. What I did is remove WDS from the MDT server and setup WDS on a separate box/vm. Then I copied the PXE boot images from the MDT server to the WDS server and voila, PXE lives on! Let us know if this works for you. 
    • Edited by TonyInglima Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:55 PM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:51 PM
  • How did you configure these systems in BIOS: UEFI or Legacy? Does your infrastructure support both boot methods?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:54 AM
  • I don't believe our infrastructure supports UEFI PXE boot as we never use it. We always have used Legacy NIC boot for all other computers (including Dell Optiplex 3050 and I believe the Latitude 5470's worked as well). I also have tested updating the BIOS to the latest version but that did not fix the issue.
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 3:11 PM
  • First I would start by verifying that BIOS settings are configured properly to point to Legacy boot. If that does not help you narrowing down the issue, take a look at general steps when it comes to troubleshooting PXE issues: https://jprudente.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/troubleshooting-pxe-booting/

As a side note, you should start evaluating UEFI boot as most Windows 10 security features require valid UEFI / Secure Boot configuration.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:09 PM
  • 1. Your PXE server *should* support UEFI booting. UEFI is the future, and many computers do *NOT* support Legacy PXE booting anymore, and that percentage will grow.

2. Your network router will need to pass IPHelper packets to/from your PXE server. First, attempt to PXE boot on the same network segment as the PXE server to verify your PXE server *is* responding. If it is, then try against another network segment. 

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:50 AM