Access Denied after trying to establish a network RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to establish a network connection with a non-Win 7 computer.  Next thing I know, I am denied access to the system drive, system restore won't run, and neither will a few other programs. I believe that I am still the system administrator but not sure. Any thoughts?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:24 PM

Answers

• It seems you have serious problems with your hard drive.

I would first run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive.  The drive manufacturers have downloadable cd .iso images that you can burn to a cd.  Boot that cd and check the drive.

If the drive checks out, boot the Windows 7 install dvd and select "repair my computer".  When you get to a screen that shows an "Open a command prompt" option, select it.

I usually run diskpart.exe first, and run "list volumes" in diskpart.  List disks can also be useful. You can also select a disk (select disk #), and run list partitions and detail disk.

Once you know the letter(s) of your volume(s), you can run chkdsk /f on them.  Note, the letters might be different than when you are in Windows.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:10 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:29 AM

All replies

• Additional information:

1. I can't reinstall Win 7 because the installation DVD is denied access to the c: (system) drive.
    2. I cannot download anything from the internet because it accesses the c: drive.
    3. I can access the D: drive which is simply an addidtional partition but can download nothing to it.
    4. I can run no programs but IE8 is working fine (yes, it is located on the c: drive).
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:21 PM
  • It appears that I am not logged as an administrator.  Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:12 PM
  • I tried a cold boot - no help.
    Tried to reinstall using the BOIS but repair function on the install disk says "System Volume is corupt" and the fix "CHKDSK" does'nt fix it.  When I try to reinstall Win 7, the system volume shows "0 Mb Free" and won't do anything. Although my logon icon says "Administrator", I have no administrator capabilities.  The system volume (C:) is totally locked.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:07 PM
  • It seems you have serious problems with your hard drive.

I would first run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive.  The drive manufacturers have downloadable cd .iso images that you can burn to a cd.  Boot that cd and check the drive.

If the drive checks out, boot the Windows 7 install dvd and select "repair my computer".  When you get to a screen that shows an "Open a command prompt" option, select it.

I usually run diskpart.exe first, and run "list volumes" in diskpart.  List disks can also be useful. You can also select a disk (select disk #), and run list partitions and detail disk.

Once you know the letter(s) of your volume(s), you can run chkdsk /f on them.  Note, the letters might be different than when you are in Windows.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:10 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Thanks to All for your thoughts. I have gone back to square one, setup harddrive, reinstalled Win 7, moved on.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:50 PM