none
Want to replace raid drives, but no space to add additional drives to migrate to. RRS feed

• Question

• Have done a little research, but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

We currently have a server running DPM 2007 SP1.  8 Raid slots, 2 of which are running RAID1 and host the OS.  So we have 6 750gb drives in RAID10 for ~2.25TB of storage.  We are nearing capacity, so I'd like to do two things:  1. drop it down to RAID5, increasing storage and 2. replace the drives with 1TB or 2TB drives.

I've seen where you can migrate from one internal array to another, but in our case we don't have the ability to just pop in more drives and migrate it over like that.   We do use Arcserve Backup to back up our volumes to tape - but I'm a little confused as to what I'll need to back up.  The existing OS drives will stay put, so the only thing we'll be changing is the storage array.  What I would LOVE to avoid is having to create new base replicas, as we use this server to back up our remote sites and it would take forever to start from scratch.  

It would be great if someone could provide me with their best step-by-step solution for this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay- I was on vacation.

<snip>
    1. It's holding on to the previous folder structure when restoring (so saving to nested folders within the replica folder)
    >snip<

After the restore, simply "cut" the nested folder and past it to the root, thus eliminating the extra nested folder structure, then delete the left empty nested folders.

<snip>
    2. It's beginning to eat up the space on C:\ - and there's nowhere near as much space available on C: that I'll need.  I'm guessing it is supposed to be restoring to the new LUN?
    >snip<

Yes, if the dpmsync -reallocatereplica was ran and completed successfully, then the new volumes should have been created.  Check to be sure the mountpoints are valid, or just run dpmsync -sync to re-create the mountpounts.  Then when you do the restore, the data should be restored to the root of the replica volume. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There will be no way to save the recovery points, but to prevent having to do full copy over the network, perform the following.

1) From command prompt, run dpmbackup to create shadow copies of the DPM replica volumes and have Arcserve backup all the data under the C:\Program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\shadowcopy folder. Once you verify the data is good, stop and disable the DPM service so no new jobs can run.

2) Go into your raid-array and destroy the LUN(s) used in the DPM Storage pool.

3) Replace the physical disks in the storage array with the new larger disks and remake the new LUN(s) for the DPM Storage pool to use.

4) Now start the DPM Service - start the DPM console and add the new larger Disk(s) to the DPM storage pool. You will see that the original DPM storage pool disk(s) show missing, ignore that for now.

5) From a command prompt, run DPMSYNC -reallocatereplica  - this will recreate all the missing DPM (replica and recovery point) volumes on the new disk.

6) Once DPMSYNC completes, restore the Arcserv backupt to an alternate location and restore to C:\Program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\replica folder.

7) Once the tape restores are complete, run a consistency check to get the replica updated with changes from the protected servers. Once CC complete, protection will resume.

8) Remove the missing disk from the DPM storage pool. 

Life should be good.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Is there a way to have dpmbackup back up to an alternate location?  I'm concerned that the C: drive might not have enough space.  Thanks for the info though!
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:30 PM
  • The dpmbackup only creates snapshots of the replica volumes, no space is used on C:
    Friday, October 22, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Ok.  I'm running into a problem.  I ran dpmbackup then went through and used microsoft backup to back up the necessary folders in c:\program files\...\shadowcopies. I was able to successfully create the new LUN and get that set up in DPM.  Now I'm at the step where I need to restore the data, but when I go to restore to c:\program files\...\replica, I have two problems:

1. It's holding on to the previous folder structure when restoring (so saving to nested folders within the replica folder)

and

2. It's beginning to eat up the space on C:\ - and there's nowhere near as much space available on C: that I'll need.  I'm guessing it is supposed to be restoring to the new LUN?

So it seems like I've missed a step somewhere, or misinterpreted the instructions.

Any assistance would be much appreciated! 

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay- I was on vacation.

<snip>
    >snip<

After the restore, simply "cut" the nested folder and past it to the root, thus eliminating the extra nested folder structure, then delete the left empty nested folders.

<snip>
    >snip<

Yes, if the dpmsync -reallocatereplica was ran and completed successfully, then the new volumes should have been created.  Check to be sure the mountpoints are valid, or just run dpmsync -sync to re-create the mountpounts.  Then when you do the restore, the data should be restored to the root of the replica volume. 

Friday, December 10, 2010 9:22 PM