Help with Exchange 2010 Uninstall/Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to repair a failed Exchange 2010 upgrade from Exchange 2003. I was brought into the project after the installation had failed, so I don't exactly know what went wrong or where the issue is. What I do know is that after the install failed (and broke email for our entire organization) they went back to 2003. We now have an Exchange 2003 server handling our email, and an Exchange 2010 server on the network, but not doing anything. As such, I want to scrap the "failed" install and start from scratch.

Before I do this however, I want to make sure that uninstalling Exchange 2010 will not affect our email in any way (it is imperative that email remains functional while I clean this up). In Exchange 2010, I checked and there are no send connectors, or anything like that. If I uninstall 2010, should I remove the AD changes or leave them in since, from what I understand, they did not cause the issue?

Exchange server info:

Windows Server 2008 R2 64Bit SP 1

4GB RAM

Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz (4 core)

Exchange Server 2010

If anyone has uninstalled 2010 and run into any problems, or has done so with no problems, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

• The Exchange 2010 uninstallation process will tell you if something will stop the uninstall from completing.
    As long as you have an SMTP Connector on Exchange 2003, and the OAB generation is set to the Exchange 2003 server, then the uninstall shouldn't cause any problems.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, May 13, 2011 8:53 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds like all the users are still working on your exchange 2003. So I think there will be no problem when you uninstall the exchange 2010.

Try to shut down exchange 2010 to see if exchange 2003 still work. And then you can remove it from server.

Actually, you can not remove the AD schema change on your domain. It will not cause problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:40 AM

All replies

• The Exchange 2010 uninstallation process will tell you if something will stop the uninstall from completing.
    As long as you have an SMTP Connector on Exchange 2003, and the OAB generation is set to the Exchange 2003 server, then the uninstall shouldn't cause any problems.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds like all the users are still working on your exchange 2003. So I think there will be no problem when you uninstall the exchange 2010.

Try to shut down exchange 2010 to see if exchange 2003 still work. And then you can remove it from server.

Actually, you can not remove the AD schema change on your domain. It will not cause problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:40 AM