none
How to use MAP? RRS feed

• Question

• I have several physical servers I would like to consider for Hyper-V virtualization. I'm trying to use MAP to see the minimum HOST requirements to run all those machines on that HOST

1.  Under MAP I capture performance data for an hour on the servers.

2. Under MAP I then use "Prepare recommednations for server consolidation using Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V".

Soon into 2) MAP asks me to define the CPU of the target Host machine (and other parameters as well). I don't know what to answer !  I thought MAP would recommed suggested HOST specs for me.

Am I using MAP correctly? Currently, I don't see that it offers any value in the area of server Virtualization\consolidation.

TIA,

Barkingdog
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:51 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the question.

Many companies have standard hardware configurations that they used in their data center environment.   The MAP toolkit allows you to specify a configuration that you might normally use and project what the utilization of a server in that configuration would be given the workloads you measured.

In addition, if your workloads are large enough to require more than one server of that configuration, then MAP will also tell you how many servers you'll need and suggest a distribution of guest machines across physical hosts.

Due to the enormous variety of different machine configurations available, and the fact that the available configurations of those machines change over time as new hardware comes to market, MAP does not try to suggest a machine configuration for you.

Thanks,
    Jay
    • Proposed as answer by Jay Sauls Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by edm2 Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:09 PM