none
DPM never finishes taking a new recovery point of a VM RRS feed

• Question

• I have this configuration:

A CSV cluster with 2 volumes.  I set the registry on the DPM Server so that just one backup can run at a time in any of the Hyper-V Servers, and also configured the DPM Script so that it lists and backup the virtual machines in a per-csv basis.

If I delete all of my Protection Groups and start from zero, all of the VM's are backed-up OK.  The process is as expected and the speed of the backup is very good, as I can make backups of big VM's in just a few minutes.  That means that network cards are OK, and that DPM can see the VM's, the disks in which it makes backups, etc.  Everything is ok for backing up the first time (replica).

My issue comes when trying to take a Recovery Point of a VM.  It stays for days and never finishes.  All of my other recovery points for files and applications are working OK.  I can see that when making the recovery point, my CSV's keep on the redirected mode, which is bad too as I know this connection is degraded when compared to direct connection to the SAN.  

What can I check?  I already deleted and recreated all of my Protection Groups.  I even created a new one with only one VM and the behavior is the same.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Jose Angel Rivera
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:27 PM

Answers

• Thank you Mike J.

As you pointed out, the problem was related to the NIC.  I updated the drivers directly from the manufacturer, then checked that all the configurations were the defaults.  From that point until today, I have no issues with any of my recovery points!!!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!  I hope this can help other people with similar issues.

Regards,

Jose Angel Rivera

• Marked as answer by balboa41 Monday, February 20, 2012 4:28 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try disabling tcp chimney on the hyper-v servers, we have seen this fix the problem in the past.

Open an administrative command prompt and on 2008 the command is:  Netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Do I need to restart the Hyper-V hosts to apply this?  I already ran the command on all of the Hyper-V hosts successfully, but I still have the problem with the Recovery Points.
    Jose Angel Rivera
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

No - just running the command and trying to make a new recovery point should be enought.  The only other time we have seen this is if the tcp window size goes down to zero.  You would need a network trace to see that problem. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:07 PM
  • Please, if you can give me some steps I could do it and check the results.  Do you mean I need a tool for checking?  Please let me know, as this problem is making all of the VM's backups to fail.

Regards,

Jose Angel Rivera
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Can anyone please help me with this?

:S

Jose Angel Rivera
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

You would need to install Windows network monitor http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=4865 and take a network trace to see why communications stopped and if it's the TCP window size on the DPM server going to zero. If it is, see if any of these settings help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224829

Monday, November 28, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Thank you Mike J.

As you pointed out, the problem was related to the NIC.  I updated the drivers directly from the manufacturer, then checked that all the configurations were the defaults.  From that point until today, I have no issues with any of my recovery points!!!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!  I hope this can help other people with similar issues.

Regards,

Jose Angel Rivera

• Marked as answer by balboa41 Monday, February 20, 2012 4:28 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:43 PM