How to add packages to SCCM WinPE boot images properly RRS feed

• Question

• We use the built-in WinPE boot images that came with SCCM to image our computers. Currently, I need to add a a few packages and drivers (ADSI) to WinPE to support a small VB6 app I need to run under WinPE.

I am wondering about the PROPER way to update the SCCM boot images with these packages and drivers? I would prefer to not create my own custom WinPE image and import it into SCCM. I would just like to update the built-in WinPE image that SCCM is currently using.

I know I can use WAIK and the DISM commands to add the packages to the WinPE .wim's, but which .wim do I apply the packages to?

- Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim -OR- boot00100115.wim?

Normally, we just use the SCCM Console to add drivers to the boot images, and I would like to be able to continue doing it this way after adding the new packages to WinPE.

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:52 PM

Answers

• Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim. the numbered "wim" is a working copy imagex uses for itself, I wouldn't manipulate that.
     Also, ALWAYS make a copy of the original before moving it off to work on it...........
    • Edited by MBroome Monday, July 23, 2012 8:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MBroome Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:08 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

• http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7651

• Proposed as answer by MBroome Monday, July 23, 2012 8:01 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 8:01 PM
  • I would add drivers to your image via the console, not Imagex....
    Monday, July 23, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Thanks, but I know I can use WAIK and DISM (similar to ImageX) to add packages to WIMs, but I just don't know which WIM to apply the packages to. From my original question:

I know I can use WAIK and the DISM commands to add the packages to the WinPE .wim's, but which .wim do I apply the packages to?

- Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim -OR- boot00100115.wim?

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim. the numbered "wim" is a working copy imagex uses for itself, I wouldn't manipulate that.
     Also, ALWAYS make a copy of the original before moving it off to work on it...........
    • Edited by MBroome Monday, July 23, 2012 8:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MBroome Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:08 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 8:13 PM