locked
Software Updates - Synchronization Problems... RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Hi all,

     

    We have a really strange problem whereby we have configured our Software Update Point Component to update from MS but we constantly get the following error

     

    On 15/10/2008 12:01:06 PM, component SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER on computer SCCMSERVER reported: SMS WSUS Synchronization failed.

    Message: UssCommunicationError: WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream().

    Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WSyncAction.WSyncAction.SyncWSUS.

    The operating system reported error 2148734464:

     

    We are yet to get it to sync properly by it doing itself automatically. If I log onto the server and try and do a manual synchronization by right clicking Update Repository > Run Synchronization I get the same error...

     

    Now here is the strange thing if I open a web browser and go to say google and leave this open and then re-run the manual synchronization it updates successfully. 

     

    We have re-associated the ConfigMgr Software Update Point account a couple of times now. I have confirmed that the Proxy settings in the CSUP are set to the same as per my account.

     

    Does the download account need to be a local administrator on the box ???

    Does the download account need any additional security rights ???

     

    Thanks in advance,

    Leechy

    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:24 AM

Answers

  • Stumbled into this one myself just now.
    What are the involved configurables here?

    1) There is the Component configuration node with the Software update point component under it.
        Nothing about authentication here

    2) There is the update repository under the software updates node
        Can only force the update here

    3) The Configmgr software update point role under the Site Systems node
        Here are the spaces for the check marks for using a proxy server AND for assigning an account to authenticate against the proxy

    Tried it with administrator first that works. Probably works for any user as long as this user has been granted the right to go to internet by the proxy....
    • Proposed as answer by Paul9408 Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:37 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:39 AM

All replies

  •  

    anyone have any ideas ???
    Monday, October 20, 2008 3:21 AM
  •  

    no one ???
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Stumbled into this one myself just now.
    What are the involved configurables here?

    1) There is the Component configuration node with the Software update point component under it.
        Nothing about authentication here

    2) There is the update repository under the software updates node
        Can only force the update here

    3) The Configmgr software update point role under the Site Systems node
        Here are the spaces for the check marks for using a proxy server AND for assigning an account to authenticate against the proxy

    Tried it with administrator first that works. Probably works for any user as long as this user has been granted the right to go to internet by the proxy....
    • Proposed as answer by Paul9408 Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:37 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:39 AM
  • I wanted to share that I faced the same issue after a recent SCCM Crash / Partial attempt to restored backup/ partial rebuild of components.

    The Sync would just fail no matter what and I would keep getting in WSyncmgr.log the following

    Message: UssCommunicationError: WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

    Even uninstall and reinstall of SUP and WSUS did not help.

    Upon further observation I found that there were some rough accounts entered in SCCM at the place that is seen in the screenshot below

     I removed the rough accounts and kept only the correct account that was needed and then restarted the WSUS threads (you may restart the entire SCCM Server)

    It works now.

    I hope this information helps somebody somewhere.

    Thanks,

    Parag Goyal

    MCSE, MCSA: messaging, MCT, MCTS:sccm

     

     

     

     


    Parag Goyal
    • Edited by Parag Goyal Friday, January 20, 2012 9:40 AM missed the error
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:01 AM