QVC DELL E520 Dimension Vista upgrade freezing solved RRS feed

• Question

• Bought a Dell E520 Dimension from QVC that had Win XP on it and they advertised an upgrade to Vista with it. After it arrived working fine, I ordered the Vista upgrade and installed it. Immediately the random freezing problem began. I notified QVC and they basically turned their back on me directing me to Dell. Technical support for Dell was a four hour phone call to a guy in south India that solved nothing. So I contacted QVC again, and yet again and they simply appologized and sent me away, NO HELP at all.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A DELL PC FROM QVC UNLESS YOU ENJOY BEING IGNORED AND TREATED POORLY AS A PAYING CUSTOMER.

This forum solved the problem! Yes, disconnected everything on the pc, mouse, keyboard, printer, power cable, internet, everything, I opened the machine, de-energized it by depressing the power switch over and over for a couple minutes, put on a grounding finger attachment for static discharge (only a few bucks at a store nearby) and went to work. There are orange cables, one is plugged into sata1 the other into sata 4. I disconnected the cable to number 4 and moved it to sata number 5. Then I disconnected the orange cable to sata number 1 (which is located perpedicular to and away from the others) and turned it around and plugged it into number sata 4. Then close up the case. Re-attach all cords (mouse, keyboard, printer, internet and finally the power cord). Start the machine and start depressing the F2 key repeatedly. Bios will start. Go down to displays. Turn off sata number 1 and turn on sata number 5. Exit and save. After that, this machine has no more Vista freezes.

Thank you to whomever discovered this AND took the time to present it to us. Thank you thank you thank you! Left to QVC and Dell, there is NO DOUBT the thing would still be broken. So, I cannot over emphasize the disappointment you will have if you were to buy a Dell pc from QVC and go through this. Personallly, I am through with Dell and especially with QVC. They (QVC) totally, 100% turned their back on me. I saved their email responses to anyone who wants to see them. Please spread the word!

Mark F. Illinois

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:45 PM