none
Steady State and Libraries - 2 things I need steady state to do! Older Gates Security can do it... RRS feed

• Question

• I have experience with the original Gates Security all the way through Steady State.  One thing the gates security could do is clear browser history and if any desktop icons were moved, restore them on a logoff.  Steady State can't do this.  If I move icons around and log off...the are moved for the next session.  If I log into hotmail and tell it to save my username and password then logoff and login then my username appears in the box. 

My application of this tool is in public libraries where we have many people using computers all day.  A restart between each user would not work.  The Gates security took care of this stuff on logoff why can't steady state?  The reason for frequent logoff's is our time management software.  Each person gets a specific amount of time and the the system will logoff.

Doesn't Steady State set the locked user profile to mandatory?  Shouldn't that make saving any of these changes impossible?  Where can I get much better technical information about Steady State?  Not the nice fluffy manual but some real techie stuff.  Like a description of exactly what each check box option does.  Some of it is unforgivably vague.  Like: The "Third Party Extension Buttons" option.  I maean really without some serious testing I would never have known that by checking that you will disable Flash and Shockwave.  We need better documentation.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Lock a user profile from SteadyState will change the profile to mandatory. When you choose the “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. When user logs off, changes under temporary profile will be removed. On the next log on, a new temporary profile will be created again. You can lock the user profile to clear the browser history, restore desktop icons and other user settings.

Please try the following steps to check the result:

-----------------------

1. Install User Profile Hive Cleanup Service to make sure temporary profile can be cleared completely.

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

2. Create a new user profile from SteadyState.

3. Customize the user profile from the user account & SteadyState. Make sure Internet Temporary files are cleared from the user profile.

4. Open SteadyState and select the user profile. Select “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option.

5. Log on and log off the test profile to check the result.

SteadyState Handbook is still the most detailed documentation up to now. Further information can only be found in this forum. Please understand that SteadyState is a new product, it may not be powerful as some other commercial software, and the Handbook may not be perfect as others’ either. However, as you may have found in this forum, we are collecting customers feedbacks to improve this. Many valuable feedbacks have been forwarded from this forum to our product team. The new version is also under development.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Lock a user profile from SteadyState will change the profile to mandatory. When you choose the “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. When user logs off, changes under temporary profile will be removed. On the next log on, a new temporary profile will be created again. You can lock the user profile to clear the browser history, restore desktop icons and other user settings.

Please try the following steps to check the result:

-----------------------

1. Install User Profile Hive Cleanup Service to make sure temporary profile can be cleared completely.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

2. Create a new user profile from SteadyState.

3. Customize the user profile from the user account & SteadyState. Make sure Internet Temporary files are cleared from the user profile.

4. Open SteadyState and select the user profile. Select “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option.

5. Log on and log off the test profile to check the result.

SteadyState Handbook is still the most detailed documentation up to now. Further information can only be found in this forum. Please understand that SteadyState is a new product, it may not be powerful as some other commercial software, and the Handbook may not be perfect as others’ either. However, as you may have found in this forum, we are collecting customers feedbacks to improve this. Many valuable feedbacks have been forwarded from this forum to our product team. The new version is also under development.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:21 AM
  •  

Thanks for the info.  I will take a look at the profile cleanup.  I really appreciate all the work that is going into this product.  Thanks for getting back to me.  You mentioned a new version.  It that for vista compatability only or will that be different than what we have now - steady state 2.0?
    Monday, October 8, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

The new version (2.5) will not only add compatibility for Windows Vista, but also fix most of known issues and add some new features according to the feedback from our customers. As our engineers are still working on it, the release date hasn't been fixed now.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:54 AM
  • Thank you for posting your question/comments. Dito, Dito! you have expressed my thoughts exactly. Hope to see more solutions in the future.

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Hi

I do not understand the directions "You can lock the user profile to clear the browser history, restore desktop icons and other user settings." How do you do this?

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Hi Bblibrary,

If you have SteadyState installed, and enabled the "Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes" option, SteadyState will rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. (A temporary folder with UserName under Documents and settings folder)

When user makes changes, it actually makes changes to the temporary profile folder instead of the original one.

When user logs off, the temporary profile will be cleared. On the next log on, a new temporary profile will be created. 

So, you can lock the user profile to clear the browser history, restore desktop icons and other user settings.

Best Regards,

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

The computers that have SteadyState installed, and the "Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes" option enabled have been working correctly today. The other day I tested them and they were saving desktop changes etc. after log off even though the profiles were locked. What could be happening that causes the temporary profile not to clear consistently?

bblibrary

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  

Hi,

If the changes were saved to the temporary folder, it’s not a problem, as when locked user logs on, it will overwrite the current temporary profile. Generally, we can clear the temp profile by installing the following tool:

Regards,

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Thanks so much for the download and explanation for the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. I installed it and now the profiles logg off as they should.

Thanks again,

bbl

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Thanks for the info so far, but I did have a quick question - will locking the profile keep the user from downloading and installing software? I also work for a public library and we tend to have rampant installations of Limewire plaguing our computers - we're finally getting some hardware to block all the P2P firesharing going on, but I didn't know how well the locking will affect that. Plus Yahoo Messenger tends to be downloaded and installed pretty often, too.
    I've just seen installations sometimes squeeze past and make itself a permanent mainstay, until I or another tech comes in, logs in as administrator, and uninstalls it.

Another question: We have sometimes have to make certain changes that, because of how Steady State works, we have to take off disk protection (10 minute wait), login as administrator, make the changes, turn back on disk protection (another 10 minute way), make sure we have the capability to log off, log in as the public account, THEN turn off the computer, so it saves the changes, PLUS comes up as "public" on the login screen every time.  This is a pain when you have 15-20 computers to do this on, very, VERY early in the morning, before the branch opens up.  And even then somtimes, after you've done this and all the computers have mixed together in your head, you've left some of the updates or changes out on systems, so you have to go back and do the whole 20 minute run through again. Needless to say - it's a HUGE pain!  I know sometimes when you're in one of the accounts and you make changes, you get a window that pops up and asks if you want to save changes on reboot, for maybe 5 seconds - and sometimes even if you want it to save changes - sometimes it will reboot and save, other times, it does nothing, and you have to reboot by hand and make your changes over again.

Any work arounds I'm missing that might help the techs and myself through these problems?
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:10 PM
  •  

Text translated by program:
    I love a lot of Microsoft programs because they all work perfectly in OS themselves.
    But when the case is lack of idea and create a program out there even a ***. As is the case with "SteadyState" very slow, requires more disk space and can not define the drive, directory or file to be protected. Or all or nothing, so I hope that the manufacturer change the concept of it and rebuilds it, see the ShadowUser of "Shadowstor" he is perfect despite being very simple, just is not compatible with Windows Vista.
    I would love that you get another version with more features and performance.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:19 AM
  •  

Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:19 AM
  • Twenty computers may be enough to justify Deep Freeze from Faronics Labs.  We use it here, though our herd of boxen is over a hundred, and I love it.  It's the only piece of software that I deal with that actually does what it's supposed to do.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:01 PM