none
OU and GPO

Question

• Ok I am confused, I created a new OU and attached a blank group policy to it for testing.  I moved a tablet into that new OU.

On the tablet I did a gpupdate /force  followed by a gpresult -h report.html

The report shows that the tablet is still getting it's GPO from the old OU, how is that? 

I thought that was the whole purpose of OU's to organize and control, what am I missing?  

How do I go about creating a separate policy for some specific computers if it is not by creating a new OU and assigning a new GPO to it?

Cheers,
    Curt Winter
    Certified Microsoft Professional
    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. If you found my post helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Curt,
    Do you see if the new GPO is applied as well as GPO of old OU?
    In addition, after you move the tablet to another OU, please reboot the client and re-log in again, then check if the new GPO is applied.
    If it is still not working, you may check if the replication in the domain is working well which may cause the similar issue, in this case, you could run repadmin command to check that.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 09, 2017 7:26 AM
  • > I moved a tablet into that new OU.

Moving a computer in AD requires a reboot of the computer itself so it can pickup this change.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Curt,
    Do you see if the new GPO is applied as well as GPO of old OU?
    In addition, after you move the tablet to another OU, please reboot the client and re-log in again, then check if the new GPO is applied.
    If it is still not working, you may check if the replication in the domain is working well which may cause the similar issue, in this case, you could run repadmin command to check that.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 09, 2017 7:26 AM
  • > I moved a tablet into that new OU.

Moving a computer in AD requires a reboot of the computer itself so it can pickup this change.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Everyone,

Reboot totally did the trick!  Now it is picking up the new GPO.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Curt Winter
    Certified Microsoft Professional
    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. If you found my post helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:58 PM